0xc004e002 error after repairing with a different Vista Ultimate disk RRS feed

• Question

• Ooops, posted this in someone else's thread:

This error is going to drive me insane!

Wife's computer got an error that the registry was missing when she tried to boot. Looked for Vista Ultimate disk to do a repair on her legitametely bought Vista and couldn't find it.
    Since she was panicking, I went out and bought another copy of Vista Ultimate and did a Repair.
    Booted, logged in, got this error with "The Software Licensing Service reported that the license store contains inconsistent data." It tells me I can call Microsoft to "help resolve this problem", but it brings up a Help screen that says either that it can't find an answer or that it is "under construction".
    Ran Repair again, then it couldn't find the volume to repair.
    Booted into Safe Mode, kept restarting.
    Ran Repair again, volume there, let it do its thing.
    Booted up to the same "0xc004e002" error.
    Tried to reinstall Vista without wiping the drive, but I must be *in* Vista to update the install.
    Booted up in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, tried to start update from command prompt, told I can't update in Safe Mode.
    Tried to do a registration via slui.exe 3 and 4 and it said I can't be in Safe Mode and do that.
    Booted again and left for a smoke. Noticed after an extended period away that there was a warning triangle on the reboot choice in the lower right corner of the screen, so instead of trying to log in, I chose "Install Updates and Shut Down", or something like that. It spent 10+ minutes installing one update and shut down.
    Rebooted again, same error.

HELP! It keeps telling me to call, but what number? So can someone either tell me how to get it fixed without wiping the drive *or* call in a prescription before I go insane? :-)

-jessc @ jessc.com

What's new is a request to login to Vista and download then run a diagnostic tool. Unfortunately, I can't get past the error. It kicks me back to the Login screen. If I boot into safe mode with command prompt, I don't have network access--at least, wirelessly--to connect to anything in IE when I run it from the command prompt. And that's the only way I've figured out how to do anything... But, if I download to a machine with a working CD burner, I suppose I could move it that way? Now I just need to get a hold of a machine with a working CD burner and a blank CD... which I'll work on...
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Jesse,

Since you can't get into Vista to run a Diagnostic Report, I don't know what's happing in your Vista. 

I can give you a few options:

~You could contact Vista phone support. (http://support.microsoft.com . Since you bought a retail copy of Vista, you will have free support to fix the issue.

~Since you can boot into Safe Mode, you can gather all your importent files and save them off the computer. Then reinstall Vista, using the copy you just bought.

Very sorry I couldn't be more help, but I would be working blind without the Diagnostic report,
    Darin MS

p.s. the importent thing is to get all your importent files, pictures and such, saved off the computer. After that, you can relax since nothing can be lost, that can't be replaced.
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:07 PM

All replies

• Oh, and if I boot in with Safe Mode with Network Support, it tells me I must restart my computer in normal mode to activate Windows. :-(
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Burned to CD, ran the app, hit Continue, now I get an error that it stopped working.

Should I just figure out a way to connect a USB drive to the machine from the CMD prompt and back it up and wipe it? But then again, it successfully downloaded and installed un update to the OS... 
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

Since you can't get into Vista to run a Diagnostic Report, I don't know what's happing in your Vista. 

I can give you a few options:

~You could contact Vista phone support. (http://support.microsoft.com . Since you bought a retail copy of Vista, you will have free support to fix the issue.

~Since you can boot into Safe Mode, you can gather all your importent files and save them off the computer. Then reinstall Vista, using the copy you just bought.

Very sorry I couldn't be more help, but I would be working blind without the Diagnostic report,
    Darin MS

p.s. the importent thing is to get all your importent files, pictures and such, saved off the computer. After that, you can relax since nothing can be lost, that can't be replaced.
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Ok. Now, I know I should be able to back them up using the crossover cable... But I'm drawing a blank on how to do it. Can you point me to a good resource on what I need to do from the command prompt to get the two talking? Thanks, and I understand that without data, finding a solution is close to impossible. 
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Never mind, it recognizes a USB flash drive when I hook it up, so I'll back them up that way. Thanks for your efforts!
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:03 PM