whs 2003 file upload size limit RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me how to raise the file upload limit in remote log on from 2g to 5g.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can anyone tell me how to raise the file upload limit in remote log on from 2g to 5g.
    There is no "file size" limit.  There is, however, a time-out period.  The default is 20 minutes.  You can change the time-out period by installing the WHS toolkit (for 32-bit or 64-bit clients).  Note the installation instructions as it's not a typical install.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:56 PM
  • well i tried 2 files not at the same time , the 1 over 2g did not transfer,

also on the file upload screen it says (file upload limited to 2gb)

I know it is all done by javascript, i can not find where the limit is set

Monday, April 5, 2010 12:10 AM
  • well i tried 2 files not at the same time , the 1 over 2g did not transfer,

also on the file upload screen it says (file upload limited to 2gb)

I know it is all done by javascript, i can not find where the limit is set

My apologies.  I stand corrected.  I haven't used the file upload in some time (and even when I did, I never noticed the 2 GB per file note on the web page until I just checked it now).

You might be able to upload files bigger than 2 GB by using the WebFolders4WHS add-in (which would then create a true drag-and-drop upload).  However, I've never used the add-in so I don't know if it would work or not.

Monday, April 5, 2010 1:08 AM
  • The file upload through the remote access web site is limited to 2 GB because of limitations in IIS. It unfortunately can't be raised. You can try the WebFolders4WHS add-in, as kariya21 has suggested, but I'm not too hopeful that that will work either. It uses WebDAV, which is run through IIS as well...

Perhaps a better solution, if you need to upload extremely large (>2 GB is really quite a large file) files on a regular basis, is to look into another file transfer method such as FTP. In general I don't recommend the use of FTP; it's an insecure protocol by design, and it's unsupported on Windows Home Server. But it's not particularly hard to install or configure, and it will work. If you decide to do this, I would recommend adding a disk to your server which you would use as the FTP target. This disk would be outside your Windows Home Server managed shares, and you would have to manually move files into the managed shares, but such a solution might do the job for you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 5, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Note: Filezilla Server supports SFTP as well (plus its free)
    Monday, April 5, 2010 11:25 PM
  • You need the edit the metabase file to increase upload limits.

MaxRequestEntityAllowed Metabase Property (IIS 6.0)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/468d6cea-04cd-4b10-b1e1-c17b9e909d07.mspx?mfr=true

William Crawford
    • Marked as answer by racheney Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:49 PM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 11:53 PM
  • You need the edit the metabase file to increase upload limits.

That will probably work, but please bear in mind that your C: partition is where an uploaded file lands. After the upload completes it's moved to the share you uploaded it to.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:12 AM
  • thank you bill and ken,

i did find a AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed="204800

in the MetaBase.xml file, i do not understand why its only

204800 and not 2048000000

do you think increasing this to 460800 would allow a 4.5gb upload.

ken i am uploading to my public shares which should upload to d: not c:

Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:56 AM
  • Every file you (or anyone) uploads lands on C:, then is moved to the share it should be in after the upload completes.

As for editing the metabase in general, I would read up on the IIS 6.0 metabase first so you have some level of understanding of what you're actually doing. See e.g. this section of the IIS documentation on Technet.

• Marked as answer by racheney Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:49 PM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:50 AM