Primary volume really failing? RRS feed

• Question

• Today I received the following notice from WHS:

"Volume with name Primary Volume is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST375064 0AS SCSI Disk Device."

So, I logged into the WHS via Remote Desktop and checked the event viewer, expecting to see bad block errors (or similar) for that drive. However, the only error I found was the following event timestamped at the same time I received the WHS volume warning:

Volsnap:

"The shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied."

I was copying 7 recorded tv shows (about 54 GB) from my media center computer to WHS. The copy was about 50% completed when the WHS event and warning were generated.

My WHS is a P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM with 2 750 GB SATA2 drives and had about 400 GB free space before starting the copy. The WHS is essentially static (all read-only folders and files), except for the daily backup of 5 desktop computers.

So, the question is: Is the drive really failing, or is WHS just confused regarding the deleted shadow copies?

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:14 PM

Answers

•  

Thanks to everybody who replied on multiple threads.  We have coded some changes in the upcoming Power Pack 1 release for this health notification.  We should get rid of the false positives.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 2:15 AM

All replies

• Regarding the “SYS Volume …” failing messages, we don’t want to summarily rule out that these are false messages, as people may indeed being having problems with one or more hard drives in their home servers.  However, it may not be the SYS partition (the C Drive) that in some cases may be causing the issue. To help narrow the issue down, please answer the following questions so we can understand each person’s specific environment / circumstances:

·     What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

·     Is this an OEM product (e.g. HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Tranquil) or a home-built home server?

·     How many hard drives, what size?  Internal?  External?

·     Do you have have UPS system hooked up to your home server?  which one?

·     Are you running any Add-Ins?  Which ones?

·     Have you loaded any software on your home server using a Remote Desktop session? 

·     How much free space do you have on your C: drive (SYS) on your home server?

·     What is the status of the hard drives in the Server Storage tab on the Windows Home Server Console?

·     Did you run the “Repair” option on any hard drives using the Windows Home Server Console?

·     Did “Repair” fix the issue?  For how long?

Assuming the “Repair” option does not fix your issue, and you keep seeing this error message come back, then please try the following:

·     Open a Remote Desktop session to your home server

·     Open a CMD prompt from the Administrative Desktop – Start – Run – CMD

·     Run the CHKDSK command for each of the hard drives on your home server and save the results into a log file:

o   Operating System partition (SYS)

§  CHKDSK C: > SYS_volume.log  

o   Primary Data partition (DATA)

§  CHKDSK D: > DATA_disk0.log

o   If you have more than 1 hard drive, then you will need to find the ‘Mount Points’ for your additional hard drives by navigating to the C:\FS directory and type ‘dir’ to see the ‘Mount Points’ for your other hard drives.  For example, you have 3 hard drives, you may see 2 sub-directories, listed as “<JUNCTION>” under the c:\FS directory (for example, you may see E and F)

§  CHKDSK C:\fs\E > DATA_disk1.log

§  CHKDSK C:\fs\F > DATA_disk2.log

§  Etc. (if you have more disks)

·      Analyze these log files and report any error messages or inconsistencies that you may see - what drive is reporting errors via CHKDSK?  (SYS, DATA, Data Disk 1, Data Disk 2, etc.)?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 1:24 AM
  • I got the same message. The system is only 1 week old (HP MediaSmart Server in original configuration of 500 GB). The only add-in is TiVO Publisher 1.3. but the system was running fine for at least several days after it was loaded.
    Backing up 3 computers (Vista SP1, VistaSP1, XP Windows Media) by home wireless network nightly. There's been no failure to do a scheduled backup so far.
     66% of HDD or 310 GB are free. No additional software loaded. No UPS attached.
    I ran the Repair utility and things are showing "healthy" again.

A search of the System Error files on the WHS machine shows this one which may be related (I don't know for sure):
    Source VolSnap
    "The shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied."

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:02 AM
  • I concluded that the Primary volume really wasn't failing. I ran the WHS repair, which found no errors, and haven't had any "Primary volume failing" messages since. I also have not seen the shadow copy deletion warning show up again in the event log either.

I suspect the WHS error/warning reporting facility is messed up and getting/reporting a wrong error code (or something similar) for situations like the shadow copy deletion warning, which then incorrectly maps to the "Primary volume failing" error. This suspicion is further backed by other posts in this forum that a UPS (which has absolutely nothing to do with the disk/volume subsystem) could also cause the "Primary volume failing" message to be generated.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:59 PM
  • One other point: the main storage drive (DSmile is showing as completely fragmented as in not a single blue line showing on the fragmentation analyzer. I installed Diskeeper for WHS. We'll see.............

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:42 AM
  •  

Thanks to everybody who replied on multiple threads.  We have coded some changes in the upcoming Power Pack 1 release for this health notification.  We should get rid of the false positives.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Hi there

It would be good to know if this issue is specifically addressed in PP1 - I have gone through 2 WHS platforms hoping to get better reliability - the SYS Disk failing messages have sapped my confidence in WHS as a NAS+ BU product !

- I'm almost nervous at applying PP1 before the August 12th (?) Updates rollout...

Rgds

AT

Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Not sure what more you want, as mentioned both in the post above, and in the Power Pack release documentation, there has been changes to address this. During the beta, it appear to have worked, as there haven't been the same number of reports - apart from obviously failing disks.

If you feel you want to wait, that's fair enough, I guess it's possible some unknown 'bug' could appear at the last minute, but there have now been a lot of people who have downloaded it with no problems. I know this forum has some instances, but it must be a very small proportion of actual users. Most of my customers have now installed the final version, with no problems whatsoever.

Colin

Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:13 AM
  • Hi Colin

Apologies for the downer mood... but saying that PP1 will address the "false positive" issue doesn't cut it for me.

After trolling this and other forums I can't help but sense that the ongoing number of W2003 and WHS issues with the
    "...shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time."  error possibly indicates a broader  issue than dismissing it as "false positives"

On this forum I've seen the comment to dismiss WHS errors messages as "false positives" too often... It does more to undermine my confidence in this product than it does to improve it...

My 10cents worth.

AT
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:01 PM
  • i know its been a couple of years since tha last post here, not sure if it will still be live but this issue has not gone away in PP3.

I have been having this message for at least six months now so last week I rebuilt my server, removing the drive and replacing with a new on.

What do you think the message was when I logged into my pc today, yes, you are correct. The same message is coming up again.

This has to be a WHS bug somewhere

Mal
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:21 PM