Can I move from WHS 2011 to Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently run "My Movies"/Server Client on my WHS 2011.  I use this setup as a central database for my movie collections and a way to stream movies to 2 - HTPCs, 1 - xBox, 2 - iPads. I don't use my WHS for client back-ups, etc. Since "My Movies" uses Windows Media Center (WMC) and both WMC & WHS 2011 are no longer supported/strategic by Microsoft, as I move to a new Media Center solution (Kodi/Emby/Plex), I would also like to move my WHS 2011 to Windows 10 if this is a viable option.

Is there a way to do this where I can keep my current Shares (12 TBs on separate drives, OS on its own drive) in tact or do I have to start from scratch (hope not).

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Friday, January 20, 2017 6:27 PM

Answers

• Firsty, you can VPN into W10 but not when it is rebooting from a major upgrade. No free W10 upgrades any more and certainly there were none from WHS when they were available. A new installation could be installed directly on C: - it will overwrite what is there although there would be no harm in formatting it. In your circumstances, a NAS might be a better option if you are only wanting to stream.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Jules1955 Saturday, January 21, 2017 3:08 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2017 8:28 AM

All replies

• No, not in the way you are hoping - no upgrade path. A new installation is required. You can then add your shares on your other HDDs without much effort. - no reformatting or anything else required.

I have moved my media server from WHS2011 (retaining WHS as a Client Backup Server) to W10 and use Plex on that to stream video to multiple different OS devices. All works fine except W10 wants to keep updating itself and you have little control over it. If you have local access to the server it's not a problem but if in my case you want to access it from multiple physical locations it can be a problem. Major updates (which can't readily be stopped) often require user input. If you don't give it, it sits waiting for you until you visit that location. I have a W10 VPN server that was not functional from last September (2016) to last week waiting for me to say "Yes"!!!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, January 20, 2017 6:39 PM
  • Phil, Thank you for your quick response.  I fully appreciate your concerns about not being able to control the Windows 10 updates from Microsoft, and the inability to remote access into this box :(

My WHS 2011 installation is on my "C:" drive. How would I get Windows 10 installed here?

Do I need to reformat the "C:" drive?  

Would I have to purchase Windows 10 or is there a "free" upgrade for this situation?

Are there any special tweaks/configurations I have to make to use Windows 10 as my home server to stream media files?

Separate thought...since I'm using my home server to stream movies and TV series to my 2 Windows 10-based HTPCs, 2 iPads and 1 xBox, I only need a solution with minimum CPU load.  I may also want to open up remote access to my Media Center solution for family and some friends.

I heard Ubuntu, FreeNAS may be possible solutions for a Home Server that could meet my needs. Do you have additional suggestions, input/guidance?

Thanks again for your help.

• Edited by Jules1955 Saturday, January 21, 2017 2:28 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Firsty, you can VPN into W10 but not when it is rebooting from a major upgrade. No free W10 upgrades any more and certainly there were none from WHS when they were available. A new installation could be installed directly on C: - it will overwrite what is there although there would be no harm in formatting it. In your circumstances, a NAS might be a better option if you are only wanting to stream.

• Marked as answer by Jules1955 Saturday, January 21, 2017 3:08 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2017 8:28 AM