none
Links posted from Microsoft download fail RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Weird. Did this start today, or have you noticed it in the past?
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:10 PM
  • I'll give you another one on the same general theme.

If you are using a non-IE browser, when you copy a URL into a reply in a forum, a hyperlink isn't created (usually) and you need to go to the Green circle icon to create the URL as a Hyperlink.

That's not the problem.

The problem is that no matter where in your text the URL was located, the Hyperlinked version of that URL you've just created turns up at the start of line one (and you need to Ctrl-X + Ctrl-V to move it back to where it was before).
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Just noticed it happening.
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Mike:

I always do this:

1. Paste the URL at the desired location
    2. Select it with the mouse
    3. Press the green button
    4. Copy the URL into the URL box

This works, but the last step always annoys me. The green button should be smart enough to notice that the selected text is an URL, and copy it to the URL box.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Even more URLs failing.

This URL:
    http://www.veign.com/development-category.php?type=web&catid=50

fails when creating a link.  The =50 is truncated from the URL, in a link, when the post is submitted.

--
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:48 PM
  • <quote>
    I always do this:

1. Paste the URL at the desired location
    2. Select it with the mouse
    3. Press the green button
    4. Copy the URL into the URL box
    </quote>
    -----------------------------

David.

That's exactly what I do, but when I do it in a non-IE browser the URL gets moved to the start of the top line.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Mike:

I use SeaMonkey browser (should be same as FireFox 2), and it works for me:

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/c4043b48-0591-40ea-bdf3-3664b202de42

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:32 PM
  • This was Safari (Mac) and Google Chrome (and possibly Firefox as I use that often at work and I think I had it there too)
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Since the recent update of the forums, any time I add a link that has "id=" anywhere in the query string, upon post submission that part of the query string gets stripped out making the link invalid. This is especially annoying for linking to Microsoft's own download site and forwarding URLs.

For example, see where this goes versus where it's supposed to go (click through to see intended destination).

EDIT: Apologies, I posted this in the wrong forum. I didn't know about the Bug Reporting forum, and so didn't see that this problem had already been reported. At least as a clarification of the other thread, it's worth noting that any "id=" gets stripped out, not just for the MS download site.
    • Merged by Brent SerbusEditor Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:29 PM merging into existing thread on same issue
    Friday, November 21, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Frustrating that something so annoying making it impossible to answer questions linking to an MS download doesn't get fixed.  Anyone on the forum support team look at this or is it a waste of breath posting in the bugs forum?
    --
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:53 PM
  • We've got a fix for it slated to go out this week.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:13 AM