WL One-Care turning itself off RRS feed

• Question

• I had a nasty experience a couple of months ago. One-Care turned itself off while I was on-line. I found out about 3 hours later - very polite message from One-Care saying that it had its own good reason to turn off. However, by that time, I was thoroughly infected. I needed to do a complete reinstall of XP.

I like One-Care and do not want to give it up. But, unless I can run another anti-virus and another anti-spyware program with it continuosly, I will have to give it up.

Microsoft say not possible to run other software.

I say that - if it leaves me vulnerable - then One-Care is not fit for purpose.

Anybody got suggestions as to how to proceed? Are there anti-virus and anti-spyware softwares which One-Care will tolerate? 

Thanks. 

Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:21 AM

Answers

• As per cardinal rule of maintaining an Anti-Virus 1 is enough and 2 is too much that its would run your system to crawl and other complications that comes with a product conflict between 2 anti-virus. And for Anti-spyware make sure the other one doesnt or you have the option to run manually and turn off real time monitoring. Try this 3rd party application sir, but comes with it is my product disclaimer.  

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html 

This is Spybot S&D a Freeware ( optional ) Security Application you can use in tandem with WLOC

Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:08 PM

All replies

• As per cardinal rule of maintaining an Anti-Virus 1 is enough and 2 is too much that its would run your system to crawl and other complications that comes with a product conflict between 2 anti-virus. And for Anti-spyware make sure the other one doesnt or you have the option to run manually and turn off real time monitoring. Try this 3rd party application sir, but comes with it is my product disclaimer.  

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html 

This is Spybot S&D a Freeware ( optional ) Security Application you can use in tandem with WLOC

Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:08 PM
  • First of all, OneCare should never turn itself off - politely or otherwise, unless there is a problem.

And, per Milo's suggestion, don't install the Tea Timer component of Spybot Search and Destroy as it is an active protection component and will cause conflicts and performance issues.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:42 AM