WHS SYSTEM DISK RESTORE FAILURE: CANNOT INITIATE LAN RRS feed

• Question

• Not being technical, it has taken several days to define this problem.  How am I to know the reason the WHS restore system disk can't find the WHS server is because it cannot restore the LAN?

A new high-end motherboard, Intel DP55KG, has failed with intermittent blue screens.  Maybe memory, who knows!  Next, Win7 failed.  As has also been the case several times over the year with the beta, it was unable to locate a restore point to use.  Please note, Microsoft, as I have found this complaint several times.

Next step is use the deeply trustworthy WHS.  Turns out it can't initiate the LAN on the Intel board.  The method suggested several times on the web is of extracting the system drivers from the WHS backup file and present them during the initial WHS restore process at the [somewhat obscure] provided point for drivers.  This does not work in this case.

The Intel driver as a fresh installation is a problem in itself.  It is a self-extracting and self-installing zip package ("exe") which ONLY extracts IF it finds it is being installed on the correct board!  Although an error message at the end says "Use /e.", nobody at Intel could tell me how to open it.  An ASAP escalation was not responded to.  Intel's tech support says "We don't respond to software problems."...even though it is their own software package.

After a full day of research, it suddenly occurred to me from DOS days that WinZip (paid version) might extract from the package, which it did nicely.  Big comment on the depth of Intel support.  Nevertheless, WHS still does not recognize the driver from a USB memory stick.

Any other avenues?  As a final solution, under what circumstances, if any, will WHS restore the system to another HDD in a different computer?
    http://douglashopkins.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds to be that the internal LAN Controller on your motherboard has failed.  This is a common thing especially when using a PC in conjuncution with a UPS due to floating ground levels.

You can restore your system by plugging the HD into another machine and running ClientRestoreWizard.exe

The new HD must be at least as big as the old drive - in some cases a slightly smaller drive may work but it's not guaranteed.

Not being funny, but if you are not technically minded it may be best to buy pre-built systems with support from the OEM rather than struggling being your own support mechanism.  Though if you love tinkering with PCs then don't let me sway you from that :-)
    Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:10 PM
  • I recently had the same problem with my gigabyte board. If you have a computer already running and connected to the whs, I would install the drive in that computer and use ClientRestoreWizard.exe as Al suggested.
    However, before running the wizard, it's probably a good idea to run chkdsk to check the drive.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Al,

Thanks for the excellent reply....polite, too.  

Great minds think alike: I was about to make further comment on my Dell experiences, but having been once banned from the WHS forum for too articulate criticism, I held back.  [Does Grandma know what "clusters" are?] 

I'll address this entire issue on my new blog for such issues.  

You know the masochistic side of homebrew, as to why I do it.  The basic reason, however, is more bang for the buck. 

So WHS doesn't prevent running off as many system images (mirrors?) to a disk located elsewhere?  Surprising but that should work just fine.

No, I don't think the LAN has failed (although I supposedly have a replacement board on the way for $25).  The driver either has an installation process which restore can't initiate, or restore simply can't open the driver on the flash stick.  The stick shows up in the storage scan in restore, but nothing pops up in the LAN [present] window.  The driver LAN directory is the largest amount of files I've ever seen for such, 20 or so.

Doug

http://bit.ly/iQUALdch
    http://bit.ly/DHwikiBio

30 year (CPM) computer novice.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Thanks, Bjurran, much appreciated.  Good to know this is not an isolated issue.  See my reply above.  Doug
    30 year (CPM) computer novice.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Hi Douglas,
    did you try extracted Vista 32 Bit drivers?
    If the OS on the client is a different one (especially also 64 Bit OS) the drivers extracted by WHS will often not work in the restore environment. 
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:40 PM