none
Dell SC440 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all...

Some might consider this SPAM... I hope not. I don't work for Dell, I don't have any affiliation with the company in any way whatsoever, other than being a customer.

I was browsing the Dell site tonight and came upon this:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/pedge_sc440?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

This is a Dell PowerEdge SC440 server with an Intel 925D 3.0GHz CPU with 800MHz FSB, 1GB RAM and 2 (!) 160GB hard drives for $399. An additional $60 will pump it up to (2) 250GB hard drives. Gee whiz... looking at the pricing for the other servers, or even desktops to act as servers, this seems like a pretty sweet (limited) offering.

Again, apologies in advance to anyone who thinks I've got anything to gain from posting this: I don't. It's just that this unit looks like it might be a pretty "scha-weet" platform for WHS and the offer -is- limited.

Lang

WHS Server:

WHS RC Build 3790

Dell Optiplex GX620

P4 3.8GHz

2GB RAM

(2) 160GB SATA HD

(1) 250GB USB HD

(1) 120GB USB HD

WHS Clients:

(2) Vista Ultimate

(1) XP MCE

(1) XP Home

Monday, July 2, 2007 5:23 AM

All replies

• It actually looks like a pretty good machine for WHS, but note that it only has a CD-Rom drive.  Adding the DVD drive is an extra $87.  When I added in shipping and tax, it went to 597.46.  I think I'll stick with my "old" whitebox for now at least.
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 4:00 AM
  • Yes, I noted that it didn't have a DVD drive. I have a couple of spares floating around... and if I didn't, I surely wouldn't buy one from Dell, not when you can get a DVD drive for less than $40 just about anywhere else. I must've missed the shipping charge though... assumed it was free shipping... my bad.

Lang

Sunday, July 8, 2007 4:59 AM