Scanniing is very slow RRS feed

• Question

• When i first installed on care, it ran very fast, now it drags ob very slow. Pond water slow. Any suggestions?

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Slow with what task? A full virus scan? A tune-up? When did you notice the change in performance? Are you on version 2 or still on 1.6? Help/About will show the version.

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:14 AM
  • all of it. i was using 1.6, that is when i noticed the problem. upgraded to 2.0. Virus scan and tools are running slow. I noticed a change earlier this week. I ran the online system check and it ran fine.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:36 PM
  • I think it would be worth contact support to investigate as it really should not have slowed down.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2 If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:48 AM
  • I purchased OneCare to simplify my life.  I had free protection for everything except registry cleaning.  So what is OneCare providing me?

An update that has caused my computer to slow down to a crawl.  Anti-virus, in express mode, takes hours to complete 1%, you heard it right one (1) percent.

I've checked the forums about the svchost.exe and winss.exe excessive run times while no other application is running.  As a result, I attempted to defeat the peer-to-peer processes; unsuccessfully.  Delete winss.exe and you stop OneCare and risk infection.

Don't stop winss.exe and the CPU resources are tied up.  Stop winss.exe and leave the computer open to security attacks.

I've tried to contact OneCare to address this problem and there seems to be no way to raise concern for my dilemma.

I've tried to use System Restore to return OneCare to the old version, but the update over-rides my attempt and the problem returns.   I've used the cleanup routine provided and reinstalled OneCare and the same problems return.

While OneCare was disabled, my computer was clear of resource hogging.

I've spent near 10 hours trying to repair my computer and protect my data.  I'm going to have to revert to AVG, spybot, and other software to protect my computer; just so I can get some real work done.

Where can I get reasonable support for fixing my OneCare subscription service?

================== My Mistake =====================

I found that I had inadvertently loaded OneCare on 4 machines.  Since I only use my desktop and laptop normally, I can not speak to how the other two are running.  I'll have to go play with them to find out.

But I suspect that OneCare goes and looks to Update and it can't because there isn't a valid license.

I just reloaded the free anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-pop-up, and firewall software I had on the laptop before I purchased OneCare.

I would guess, if someone has a similar problem, then they might need to purchase an extra license for the 4th computer.  However, I don't see a means to Add a fourth or fifth computer to your "Circle".  You might have to pay for 3 more licenses.  I would guess OneCare has something figured out for supporting a workgroup of more than 3 computers.

Moderator?  Any suggestions for adding a 4th computer to the "Circle"?

James Dunn

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/jamesbdunn?p=57

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:11 AM
  • James, I'm sorry to read of the problem you're having. Have you contact support per the link in my reply? That would be the proper path to take to get this resolved. It seems that you are not alone in the problem, though that is of little consolation to you. Something is clearly conflicting with the winss process for it to slow your system to a crawl, but it will likely take a support contact and escalation to determine what that may be.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Me too, Steve !!!

Everything else appears to run at normal speed except virus scan (separetly or with tuneup). At the moment, scanning time measured in days. I've downloaded, installed and ran both "AntiMalwareRepair.exe" and "RepairBootini.exe. Comes up "clean"! I have a fresh load of "Windows Xp Home Edition version: 2002", "Live One Care version 2.0.2500.12", "Virus and Spyware version: 1.23.4485.0", "Firewall version:  1.2.30.104" . Any suggestions?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:33 PM
  • Until we learn more about the cause of the problem, the best I can offer is that you should open a support case. The more cases opened, the higher visibility this gets. I am quite sure that the OneCare and Antimalware teams are scrambling, but I have no updates on a solution for those inflicted with this slowness following the 2.0 update.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 7:12 PM
  • I called tech support today (12-7-07) on this issue.  The scan (whether alone or part of tune-up) drags along at a rate that it would take a week to complete it. Tech support has no understanding of the issue. My other 2 computers run the scan fine.  Tech support acted as if there were no problem at all.  Running the scan from the website works fine.  It is like the scan keeps going back to the system32 area after each branch off into program if you watch the scanned files as they show up...at the lack of speed it is running (puts CPU usage to 100%) it is very easy to read every letter of every word in the file that is being scanned.  It acts like it is in an infinite loop. 

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Yes, Knight Light, you are describing the problem that others are facing, too. The problem is being investigated - something is causing the process to hang, probably a conflict with another service.

-steve

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:13 AM
  • Me too! I feel that from the former post it will be a waste of time to contact tech support. Bye the way how do you do that?

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:49 AM
  •  newenglandpilot wrote:

Me too! I feel that from the former post it will be a waste of time to contact tech support. Bye the way how do you do that?

The benefit to contacting support is that they are logging the issue and they can check for known causes of the problem. Slow scanning can be the result of a conflict with another antivirus program active on the PC, for example. However, as noted in this thread, there has been an increase in reports of this problem with the v2 program release from people who did not have this problem with 1.6. I believe that this indicates a conflict with another service or process that is not a security package and potentially something that can be fixed by the antimalware team with an engine update.

As for how to contact support, the process is outlined here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:36 PM
  • On one of my machines Windows Live OneCare's tuneup was insanely slow scanning for viruses etc: after five days it hadn't quite gotten to 50%.

Having tried a bunch of other reasonable changes without any success, I compared its running services against those on another very similar machine which didn't have this problem. I turned on "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" and "Network Location Awareness" and I turned off "HTTP SSL". This worked! WLOC completed the tune up in a few minutes. Now it works fine even if I turn these services back on/off on either machine.

I can't imagine why these particular services made a difference, I can't make the original problem reappear, and YMMV, but this worked for me.

- another steve

Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:53 AM
  • I found a solution on this forum, now I don't know where it is!

Basically stop the "peer services" that are running.

click on "services" under "administrative tools" find the peer services, right click and stop.

This seems to only affect XP machines as Vista machines don't have these services automatically started.

If you dont see "administrative tools" on the all programs menu, right click the task bar, properties, start menu, customise, then scroll through and tick the box.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Monday, January 21, 2008 3:18 AM