Changing a drive letter RRS feed

• Question

• Whilst this has been asked before I couldn't find anything post DE removal.

Is it possible to change a drive letter under the RC?

Basically I was backing up to CrashPlan anything that I consider 'essential', basically around 150GB to the cloud.

I managed to upload the 150GB of data whilst I was in Turkey for two weeks, under the old Vail beta, with DE enabled.

This meant my CrashPlan structure went something along these lines:

X:\Documents

Y:\Pictures

Z:\Music

Unfortunately after flattening my server for the RC, with DE being removed my structure changed over to the new system, something like:

G:\ServerFolders\Documents

G:\ServerFolders\Pictures

G:\ServerFolders\Music

Now having reinstalled CrashPlan and adopted my server, it is (apparently) meant to be clever enough to detect these changes and only upload new or changed files.

Sadly, for the second time now, it did not.

As I am now completely sick of attempting to re-upload 150GB with 796 kbps upstream I have decided to somehow try and make sure that the structure always remains the same.

Therefore I propose to label my 'Media' drive M:\

So everything will remain as M:\ServerFolders\FolderX

Will Windows Home Server 2011 be happy with this, can anybody see any negative effects? I'm guessing with DE gone, and the drives being standard NTFS that it shouldn't be a problem, any thoughts?

I apologise for the long-winded post!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:17 AM

Answers

• There is no problem with that at all.  Just use disk management to pick the drive letter you want.  I've already done it without problems.
    D.W.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:56 AM

All replies

• There is no problem with that at all.  Just use disk management to pick the drive letter you want.  I've already done it without problems.
    D.W.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Great, thanks very much for the answer! Most appreciated.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:44 AM