OEM WHS, my motherboard has died, can I reactivate if I purchase new hardware?? RRS feed

• Question

• Gutrted, my pc has died, the motherboard has given up on me... Before I splash out on a replacement, will I be able to reactivate whs on a new build replacement system...??

ANy links to official MS info would be appreciated....

Thanks
    DrSoton

Do you get any "grace" activations..?? My disk has only been activated 1 on initial build...
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

• Per your EULA, Windows Home Server is tied to your original motherboard, and can only be reactivated on identical hardware, or (if no longer available) on the equivalent recommended as a replacement by the manufacturer.

That said, Microsoft will typically not have a problem with reactivating. You'll probalby have to go the phone activation route, and they may ask some questions, but users haven't reported problems getting them to reactivate.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:56 PM

All replies

• Per your EULA, Windows Home Server is tied to your original motherboard, and can only be reactivated on identical hardware, or (if no longer available) on the equivalent recommended as a replacement by the manufacturer.

That said, Microsoft will typically not have a problem with reactivating. You'll probalby have to go the phone activation route, and they may ask some questions, but users haven't reported problems getting them to reactivate.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
  • Yep it will be fine - i am on my third board and have resetup WHS numerous times and had no problems reactivating

Cheers

Tim
    2 pata, 4 sata, 4.4tb storage, 2gig ram - home bake system