please help me! RRS feed

• Question

• hi there friends.

a  neighbor of mine installed what i believe is a pirated version of windows XP onto my dell computer last year.  it was working fine until this weekend.  i don't know what in the wold i did to my computer, but i started getting the pop up about windows xp may not be genuine and i must activate it in 3 days.  each time i tried to activate it and clicked "yes," a new screen appears (a pop up box) to activate a genuine version, but there are two "x's"on the top left and right of the box and i cannot click anything!   needless to say, the third day was up yesterday and now my computer has the sign on screen with my username, and when i click my username, it says something like "unable to activate" or "this copy if windows is not genuine and must be activated."  i click my username, but it says it's not genuine once again and i must activate a genuine version.  i cannot even get to the normal screen to see the "start" button or any of my background on my display screen.  all i can view is the windows welcome message with my username and sign-on picture.  please help!  i am fine about paying the $149 to purchase a GENUINE copy of windows xp for my computer, but if i do how in the world will i be able to do anything when i cannot get past the log on screen?  i have so much information and programs for my business on my computer that i have no choice but to make this work. 

thank you in advance for any assistance to fix my issue and get my computer back to working!
    steph
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 3:42 PM

Answers

• Stephanie f,

Can you start up and log on in Safe Mode with Networking?

To start the computer in Safe Mode w/Networking, first restart the computer.  As the Dell startup logo begins to fade, repeatedly press the F8 key on the keyboard.  The next menu will be in black and white and is called the Safe Boot Options menu.  Arrow down and highlight Safe Mode with Networking, then press Enter on your keyboard.  After displaying a whole boat load of text, XP will start in Safe Mode.  If your computer normally presents the Welcome Screen friendly logon, do not be alarmed if you see fewer users----in Safe Mode Windows will only display user names that are Computer Administrator accounts.  Select an account and log on.  In Safe Mode Windows uses a generic video driver at a low resolution, so don't be alarmed when you see the screen.

If so, please follow these steps once logged on in Safe Mode w/Networking:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  Ww would expect yours to read "Dell" or "Dell Computer Corporation."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:30 PM
  • hello dan.

thanks for your advice - i will try when i'm home from work today.  just quickly, will starting in "safe mode" surpass the windows log on that i need to get by?  if that doesn't work, i'm in big trouble!

thanks much,

steph f

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Stephanie f,

Running in Safe Mode w/Networking will allow you to interact with the computer to diagnose the current problem.  Safe Mode bypasses the "Reduced Functionality Mode" that XP goes into when there is a problem with Product Activation.

If we cannot fix the problem, you will have to use Safe Mode to access, backup, and offload your valuable data, doc, pix, email, etc etc so that you can run the Dell Reinstallation CD or Dell PC Restore to get a genuine installation of XP back onto the computer.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:25 PM
  • hi again dan.

i was unable to log on under safe mode w/ networking, but was able to go onto just safe mode.  if i'm unable to fix the problem with the instructions you suggested, can i simply buy a genuine copy of windows xp (the cd because i'm unable to log onto the internet) and install it in safe mode on my dell pc?  remember, my copy was not genuine in the first place (due to a "faulty" neighbor!  well, and my own ignorance!) so there is no choice of reinstalling xp!  thank you again.

stephanie f
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Stephanie f,

You do not have to buy a new license for XP for your Dell because your Dell came from Dell with a licensed copy of XP installed.  If you look on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer you will see the edition of XP it came with (XP Home, Media Center, Pro, or Tablet).

To get your computer back to being Genuine, all you have to do is put the original XP back onto the computer.

When you have a Dell, there are two ways you can get that done:

1.  Use the Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD that came with the computer.  If you don't have one, contact Dell tech support and they will send you one for about $15.

2.  See if your Dell has the special program installed that uses a hidden partition on the hard disk to put the computer back to "out-of-the-box" condition.  Start the computer and at the Dell logo, press and hold CTRL, press F11, then release both simultaneously.  If the program is installed, you will see either "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" or "Norton Ghost."  Follow the prompts.

Note:  all of the above methods will destroy all user data on the hard disk drive.  Before you do anything else, if necessary, start in Safe Mode and then backup and offload anything that you do want to lose!

Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-78RRG-JDTF2-HC64B
    Windows Product Key Hash: WGHFq9bOiQgP/IFQmYNS0wbyYcA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-644-5860844-23864
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: ae95ac60-9d0f-45ed-8995-75370c7fcd1a
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>ae95ac60-9d0f-45ed-8995-75370c7fcd1a</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HC64B</PKey><PID>55274-644-5860844-23864</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1343024091-362288127-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway                        </Manufacturer><Model>E-3600                         </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>HV84510A.15A.0008.P03.0108231035</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010823000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>AD323E870184C03A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>A66DC41E13B806C</Val><Hash>0iP9dzV2I79iQ0UTlchD0vUXV7Q=</Hash><Pid>70141-054-9718647-56078</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

The COA says it's Win XP Home Edition... it doesn;t say if it's OEM software or product, but it Does say it's GATEWAY.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Armar,

Right now, your Gateway computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, VL editions of XP are Upgrade Licenses only and cannot be preoperly used as the original or base license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Luckily, the solution to your XP problem is simple but a little laborious.  Use the recovery solution supplied by Gateway to replace the nongenuine installation of XP Pro with the genuine original installation of Windows XP Home, which was on your computer when you purchased it new, as documented by the Certificate of Authenticity that is affixed to the computer case.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

Typically, the recovery solution will be a set of CDs/DVDs that came with the computer or were to have been made by you using a utility that came with the computer, or a hidden recovery partition that is accessed by special keystrokes at system startup.  The specific solution for your computer would have been outlined in the documentation that came with the computer, and may be available at the Gateway support page for this exact model of Gateway computer on the Gateway web site.

If you do not have the Recovery CD supplied by Gateway, you can order Recovery CDs for many Gateway models directly from Gateway for a reasonable price.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com or a Google search of sites that sell recovery discs.

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:10 PM

All replies

• Stephanie f,

Can you start up and log on in Safe Mode with Networking?

To start the computer in Safe Mode w/Networking, first restart the computer.  As the Dell startup logo begins to fade, repeatedly press the F8 key on the keyboard.  The next menu will be in black and white and is called the Safe Boot Options menu.  Arrow down and highlight Safe Mode with Networking, then press Enter on your keyboard.  After displaying a whole boat load of text, XP will start in Safe Mode.  If your computer normally presents the Welcome Screen friendly logon, do not be alarmed if you see fewer users----in Safe Mode Windows will only display user names that are Computer Administrator accounts.  Select an account and log on.  In Safe Mode Windows uses a generic video driver at a low resolution, so don't be alarmed when you see the screen.

If so, please follow these steps once logged on in Safe Mode w/Networking:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  Ww would expect yours to read "Dell" or "Dell Computer Corporation."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:30 PM
  • hello dan.

thanks for your advice - i will try when i'm home from work today.  just quickly, will starting in "safe mode" surpass the windows log on that i need to get by?  if that doesn't work, i'm in big trouble!

thanks much,

steph f

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Stephanie f,

Running in Safe Mode w/Networking will allow you to interact with the computer to diagnose the current problem.  Safe Mode bypasses the "Reduced Functionality Mode" that XP goes into when there is a problem with Product Activation.

If we cannot fix the problem, you will have to use Safe Mode to access, backup, and offload your valuable data, doc, pix, email, etc etc so that you can run the Dell Reinstallation CD or Dell PC Restore to get a genuine installation of XP back onto the computer.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:25 PM
  • hi again dan.

i was unable to log on under safe mode w/ networking, but was able to go onto just safe mode.  if i'm unable to fix the problem with the instructions you suggested, can i simply buy a genuine copy of windows xp (the cd because i'm unable to log onto the internet) and install it in safe mode on my dell pc?  remember, my copy was not genuine in the first place (due to a "faulty" neighbor!  well, and my own ignorance!) so there is no choice of reinstalling xp!  thank you again.

stephanie f
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Stephanie f,

You do not have to buy a new license for XP for your Dell because your Dell came from Dell with a licensed copy of XP installed.  If you look on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer you will see the edition of XP it came with (XP Home, Media Center, Pro, or Tablet).

To get your computer back to being Genuine, all you have to do is put the original XP back onto the computer.

When you have a Dell, there are two ways you can get that done:

1.  Use the Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD that came with the computer.  If you don't have one, contact Dell tech support and they will send you one for about $15.

2.  See if your Dell has the special program installed that uses a hidden partition on the hard disk to put the computer back to "out-of-the-box" condition.  Start the computer and at the Dell logo, press and hold CTRL, press F11, then release both simultaneously.  If the program is installed, you will see either "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" or "Norton Ghost."  Follow the prompts.

Note:  all of the above methods will destroy all user data on the hard disk drive.  Before you do anything else, if necessary, start in Safe Mode and then backup and offload anything that you do want to lose!

Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-78RRG-JDTF2-HC64B
    Windows Product Key Hash: WGHFq9bOiQgP/IFQmYNS0wbyYcA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-644-5860844-23864
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: ae95ac60-9d0f-45ed-8995-75370c7fcd1a
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>ae95ac60-9d0f-45ed-8995-75370c7fcd1a</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HC64B</PKey><PID>55274-644-5860844-23864</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1343024091-362288127-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway                        </Manufacturer><Model>E-3600                         </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>HV84510A.15A.0008.P03.0108231035</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010823000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>AD323E870184C03A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>A66DC41E13B806C</Val><Hash>0iP9dzV2I79iQ0UTlchD0vUXV7Q=</Hash><Pid>70141-054-9718647-56078</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

The COA says it's Win XP Home Edition... it doesn;t say if it's OEM software or product, but it Does say it's GATEWAY.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Armar,

Right now, your Gateway computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, VL editions of XP are Upgrade Licenses only and cannot be preoperly used as the original or base license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Luckily, the solution to your XP problem is simple but a little laborious.  Use the recovery solution supplied by Gateway to replace the nongenuine installation of XP Pro with the genuine original installation of Windows XP Home, which was on your computer when you purchased it new, as documented by the Certificate of Authenticity that is affixed to the computer case.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

Typically, the recovery solution will be a set of CDs/DVDs that came with the computer or were to have been made by you using a utility that came with the computer, or a hidden recovery partition that is accessed by special keystrokes at system startup.  The specific solution for your computer would have been outlined in the documentation that came with the computer, and may be available at the Gateway support page for this exact model of Gateway computer on the Gateway web site.

If you do not have the Recovery CD supplied by Gateway, you can order Recovery CDs for many Gateway models directly from Gateway for a reasonable price.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com or a Google search of sites that sell recovery discs.

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:10 PM