"Check Your Antvirus Software Status" warning RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 5 computers on my released WHS network, plus the server. All are running the latest Avast software - the server is running Avast WHS retail.

2 computers are running Vista x64, 2 are Vista home premium and 1 is XP SP2. the two X64s have WHS console installed with backup turned off.

One of the X64 machines continuously gives the the network health message that the antivirus software is either not installed or out of date - but it's not. It is running, and reports to the WHS Avast software that it is up-to-date. I have un-installed and re-installed Avast on the problem machine, but the error persists. I get no errors or messages on that machine about antivirus software, just on the WHS console.

All other computers work as they should. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ned

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:22 PM

Answers

• 3 days and no more messages - whatever was wrong with that computer, Vista SP1 fixed it....

Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:39 PM

All replies

•  

Do you have antivirus software running on your other PCs?

If you have no antivirus software running on your other PCs it will give you "network health" message.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:51 PM
  • I have Avast Home edition running on all the machines (except the WHS, of course. It has Avast WHS) - the message specifically mentions the one Vista x64 computer every time. I may have an update - I just installed Vista SP1 RC on that machine, and the WHS Icon is now green on all machines - I'll see what happens....

Thanks,

Ned

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:59 PM
  • 3 days and no more messages - whatever was wrong with that computer, Vista SP1 fixed it....

Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Ned, while it's great that installing Vista SP1 has fixed your issue, you should be aware that the Windows Home Server connector is not yet supported on 64 bit operating systems, and that is likely the reason you were seeing those warnings.

Microsoft plans an announcement about 64 bit support at CES (and they have said all along that it will be available to all WHS users when released), which is only a few days away, so I woud hope that the actual connector will follow fairly closely.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Ken, I have exactly the same symptoms on a 32 bit Vista Home Premium Machine.  I have 4 XP and 1 Vista machine on the WHS network; all with the same AVG free antivirus and all up-to-date.  The Vista machine generates a red flag with the message that "antivirus is not installed or is out-of-date."  It is my understanding that SP1 is ready for the masses now and will be delivered automatically through Microsoft update channels sometime within the next few weeks.  Would it be advisable for me to manually download and install SP1 to see if this fixes the incorrect error message or leave the message on "ignore this message" until the service pack installs normally?   Just need some better qualified advice than my own on this.   Thank You,  John

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:43 PM
  • You are unlikely to be harmed if you wait until Microsoft pushes Vista SP1 to your Vista PC, which is what I will be doing (except for my Vista test machine, which has had SP1 installed for some time).

Have you submitted a bug report on Connect regarding this issue?
    Friday, March 7, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I did go to the link you gave me and it seems that others are having the same problem on Vista machines.  There was mention there that there was no need to report an item that had already been reported by someone else, so I didn't report it.  Several others had already done so.  It seems to be just another of the thousands of little incompatibilities and frustrations built into Vista and nothing that can be fixed with WHS..   

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:48 PM
  • FYI Ken, I had this same false error message relating to antivirus on a 32 bit Vista machine.  Jeshimon suggested that possibly the problem could be corrected if WHS connector software were installed before the antivirus software (AVG free).  I uninstalled the AVG, rebooted and reinstalled it and rebooted again and the false error code disappeared.  This sequence may fix others with the same problem with other brands of antiviruses.  (This is antivirus on the connector computer now, not on the server)
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 8:50 AM
  • I also have the same problem. Only my two Vista laptops come up with the warning, all the XP machines (4) are fine. The laptops have Vista home and Vista professional installed. All the clients are Norton Internet Security and the WHS has Avast. All are maintained up to date. The Vista's are both to SP1 and WHS is to PowerPack1.

Tim
    Vote for Froglet (http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Clangers/Voteforfroglet.htm)
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:19 PM
  • I am running a new (2 days old) 64-bit Win7 Ultimate system.

Avast Home was the first software I installed, followed somewhat later by WHS Connector x64.

WHS is reporting Avast is not installed or out of date, whle the Win7 Action Center says everything is fine.

I am about to try the solution which worked for John3347 above.

I shall report the result.

EDIT: It worked. I followed John3347's procedures and after the second reboot, WHS recognised Avast immediately.

COMMENT: This should not be necessary.

Regards... Bernard
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:12 AM
  • I cannot beleive this has not been solved by Microsoft. This is the first time I have been mad enough at MSFT to voice my concerns. I thought I would email the support site for WHS but they want $79 for the privlage. I have replace two of our machines over xmas with Win 7 machines and had this problem come up. They started with Norton moved to Avast and finally Microsoft Security essentials. This is not a antivirus problem. It is a Microsoft Win 7 problem. I did make the change to the Security Services from delayed start to automatic. This worked but if it was that easy Microsoft would just fold it into the next patch Tuesday. Lets just fix it.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:38 PM
  • FWIW - I've also been seeing warnings about antivirus software after upgrading one of my machines to Win 7.  However, in my case, I think the problem is that WHS thinks there are two computers:

-  my laptop running vista
    -  the same laptop, now running Win 7.

Even though the Win7 machine had the same name as the Vista one, it showed up separately in the "Computers and Backups" tab on the console.  I suspected it was the antivirus state on the "old" vista machine that WHS is complaining about, so I renamed my Win7 computer and, sure enough, the antivirus warnings I'm getting from WHS refer to the old name, not the current name of my Win 7 device.

So, in my case, what I think I want is some way to tell WHS to stop bugging me about the old machine, but to retain the backups for it (as I would like some way of getting my old data "just in case" I've deleted something important during the Win 7 upgrade).

Ed
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:31 PM
  • i think a lot of people are having the same problem. why has knowbody fown a solution yet????????

come on microsoft !!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Hey Team,
    Ive been using WHS w/ powerpack 3 for many months now and its getting annoying that whenever one of my 6 computers attempts to restart their computer or shutdown, it notifies everyone on the networking via WHS health icon that there is a Critical Error and the WHS icon turns red.  When you log into the console, you have to click on the NETWORK icon, and click ignore this issue on one of the many "false alarms",   example:  Home Pc Has Windows Firewall Turned Off.  When really, all i did was shut the computer down.   
    Why does this happen?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:17 AM
  • I have a slight twist to the problem. One of my computers is running Vista, but has been off the network for weeks. EVERY DAY, WHS restores two gripes about this box that I tell it to IGNORE! The Vista box isn't even powered up (no, it's not just sleeping)!!! The gripes are:

1) Antivirus software is either not installed or is out of date on <offline PC>

2) <offline PC> has anitispyware software turned off or out of date.

As a software developer, it's embarassing that WHS complains about a node that it also detects as being offline! Not just once, but twice!

I have just removed it from the "Computers & Backup" list. If this is the solution, why is there NOT a published KB article about it?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Those messages are usually a result of a timing issue in the Vista Security center startup/shutdown process. Windows Home Server just reports what it learns from Security Center.

If you update your server and clients to the latest power pack, the issue should be resolved (for Windows Vista; a similar issue seems to exist for Windows 7 but the latest Power Pack hasn't completely solved that).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Another twist but much the same issue. Windows 7 64 bit with Kapersky AV. Vista and XP boxes are fine. My error messages are:

• AV not installed or out of date
    • Windows Firewall Is Off.

Action Centre Security reports AV running and scanning, and Firewall currently turned on. I have tried the various uninstalls with no success:

• WHS connector uninstall, reboot, re-install reboot
    • AV uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot

This is a fresh install of W7 which does not report status correctly no matter how long it is left or often it is rebooted. The first install of W7 sort of worked, but connector reported on, off, on, off and finally on each time I logged in.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:46 PM
  • I am running AVAST on 3 Win7 clients and the server and have experienced what is described here. Not consistently, but after both server and clients have been powered off. Seems to be a sequence or timing issue.

I simply turn the client AV off and on again and voilá - WHS is green.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Ken, That would make sense if the client being reported is actually available to provide status. It appears that WHS has cached the status and if the "offending client" should go away forever, WHS would continue reporting it forever!!

The direct question is "How can WHS be told to NEVER report on a host that no longer exists?" The status appears to be cached, but not verified - bad mojo on the designer here.

Jon.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:43 PM