Source control, Solution Packager tool and Visual Studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to CRM and am finding it incredibly difficult to understand how to basically source control, package and deploy all our CRM customisations. I have been reading this post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/devkeydet/archive/2012/09/20/crm-2011-visual-studio-and-source-control-of-non-code-customizations.aspx.

1. Is it the generally accepted way of doing things?
    2. When in that video the CRM Package project (SolutionPackagerDemoPackage) is deployed, the properties of that SDK project template are set to Export Solution:true. But what exactly gets exported from the CRM after deployment has occurred? e.g. say we have in the CRM the Default Solution, one unmanaged solution and one managed solution. Do all three get exported? Just the Default Solution or what?
    3. Also, we have noticed that in our UAT server when we go to export the (only) solution, the Default Solution, and examine the Reports we notice that some reports have a Status of Managed but a minority have a status of Unmanaged. What does that mean? Surely if they are in the default solution they should all be of the same Status?
    4. How do we get our DEV/UAT environments to mimic our PROD environment both in terms of structure and data. For example, in our PROD we have as I say the one Default Solution. Should we export that solution and in DEV/UAT create a new CRM organisation and import that exported solution?
    5. How do we get some meaningful data from PROD into our DEV/UAT environments whilst ensuring that no processes such as plugins are being activated in these environments.

Any help gratefully received! I have read the SDK, white papers, and many article concerning the above but to me it appears there is no definitive document that takes you from A-Z on this whole issue.

Maz

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:46 AM