Powerware 5110 UPS RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone successfully gotten a Powerware 5110 UPS to work under home server OEM. I've installed the latest drivers and Lansafe software, and I'm getting communication errors. It works for about 5 minutes, then the Lansoft  software reports that its lost communication with the UPS. The drivers support windows 2003 server, so I thought they would work with home server.

I loaded the same drivers and software onto my desktop PC which is running Vista, and connected the UPS to it, and its working without a problem.

Anyone have any idea's. Let me know if you need me to supply more information about my setup.

Thanks,
    John
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 8:06 AM

Answers

• Tried the powered USB hub, but still had the same problem. So I loaded home server onto a spare disk on the same machine and loaded the UPS software and it worked fine. The only thing I could think of that might be causing a problem with the USB port was vmware server, which I have running on this machine, so I had a look at the setup of the virtual machines and found that one had USB device setup, so I removed it and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Before the UPS would stay connected for about 5 minutes, now its been connected for about 4 hours. Fingers crossed that this was the problem, and the UPS stays connected.
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:46 AM

All replies

• Does anyone know if using a UBS 1.1 device on home server is going to cause any problems. The UPS uses UBS 1.1, could this be the cause of the problem.

I received an email from powerware tech support quoting the following:

I found this article on the internet

Microsoft advises against using USB 1.1, because "the older USB standard
    is significantly slower and less reliable for storage, and it is not
    supported on Windows Home Server."

The UPS 5110 uses USB 1.1, do you have a powered USB hub to test with ?
    this would convert 1.1 to 2.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:30 AM
  • I don't remember where, but I have read of someone else solving a ups connection problem by using a powered usb hub. You might give that a shot.

Update: See the last post of the following thread. Different brand ups, but...

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2493360&SiteID=50 

Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:02 AM
  • Will give it a go tonight, need to pickup a powered USB Hub today.
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Tried the powered USB hub, but still had the same problem. So I loaded home server onto a spare disk on the same machine and loaded the UPS software and it worked fine. The only thing I could think of that might be causing a problem with the USB port was vmware server, which I have running on this machine, so I had a look at the setup of the virtual machines and found that one had USB device setup, so I removed it and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Before the UPS would stay connected for about 5 minutes, now its been connected for about 4 hours. Fingers crossed that this was the problem, and the UPS stays connected.
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:46 AM
  • Is anyone else using the Lansafe software that comes with Powerware UPS on WHS. The lstrayagent.exe process seems to have a memory leak, its starts out using 10 mb, and slowly climbs to over 100 mb over a couple of days.

Anyone else having this problem?
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:31 AM
  • I take it no one uses this UPS?
    Monday, June 30, 2008 10:22 AM
  • Definitely a memory leak, check for update to the software on the UPS OEM website. If there's no update, send email to their tech support telling them about the memory leak, perhaps it will be fixed, perhaps not. I suggest you don't use poorly written software with memory leaks.

Dino2007 wrote:
    Is anyone else using the Lansafe software that comes with Powerware UPS on WHS. The lstrayagent.exe process seems to have a memory leak, its starts out using 10 mb, and slowly climbs to over 100 mb over a couple of days.

Anyone else having this problem?

Monday, June 30, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Hi Dino2007

I bought the 5110 Powerware UPS - and yes, had the same problems with their software - Lansafe - on WHS.  Their tech support here in Australia gave me 2 peices of advice:

1) Its not supported on WHS (dispite 2003 being supported)
    2) Powerware (Eaton) are moving to a Java based applet for their low end UPS software to replace LANSafe, and so there is not expected to be any updates to this s/w

I find it generally runs for about a week, and then has problems.

I tried out the BETA of PowerGrid, but that add-on does not yet offer any support for the PowerLan UPS yet.  I'm hoping that Alexander will come through with the right API's from PowerLAN to make his add-on work.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:59 AM
  • I tried to get this software working last night. When I load the software it does not find the UPS even though it is listed by Device Manager. The software then does not find the UPS and, naturally, will not shutdown the WHS box. On my system at least, the UPS capability in Power Management only recognises COM1 as a communication channel to the UPS.

Some options are:

1. Try loading the software as an XP install rather than 2003.

2. Complain to the retailer and see if I get to a more helpful person in tech support (I am also in Australia).

3. See if the WHS box can be shutdown if I set up an XP machine as the LanSafe controller. I have already tested that the software works on this machine. I have a 700VA unit so should be able to handle two PCs for testing.

4. Buy a convertor for USB to serial and try to use the Power Management UPS software.

5. Buy another brand UPS.

I am about to try 1.

Regards

Tony

Friday, July 4, 2008 11:56 PM
  • Hi Tony H

Make sure that you've got the Jungo WinDrive (USB PowerManagement Controller inteface) driver installed first - before the LanSafe program.  I used the Win2003 install and it setup OK, but as per previous posts, I suspect this app is a little unstable.  It does work though, and has cleanly shut down my server on numerous occasions after power outages over the past 4 months.  Looking at the log, I also get to see the number of minor power events going on - surges  and millisecond droops in voltage - I was shocked at how crappy the power supply is to our suburb !

Tony T
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:26 AM
  • Thanks Tony T

I am still checking out forums for options before I do anything.

At this stage I am inclined to try the GridJunction beta - an add-in for power management is attractive.

Tony H

Saturday, July 5, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Hey Tony H - snap.... but GridJunction doesn't support Powerware UPS

I've been trying each release of Grid Junction in the hope that it will be a viable replacement for LanSafe too.  Alexander is working on expanding the range of UPS support, but I don't believe he has a Powerware box to test on.

Let us know if you have success.

Cheers
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:55 AM
  • Will keep you informed.

The GridJunction  site has a pie chart that indicates that 6% of the beta users have Powerware units even though they do make the list of tested units. I have some doubts about the communications from the 5110 units - LanSafe did not report a status for the battery so it is a distinct possibility that the 5110 units do not broadcast that information. The GridJunction screens only show shutdown based on battery status rather than time so that could be a show stopper.

A user on another forum seems happy with a 5115 unit, so I will see what I can find out (assuming the poster is still around).

WinDriver does not show up as a System device even though the windrvr6.sys file is in the Drivers folder so I guess there is some registration issue. This is probably why the installation of LanSafe fails to recognise the UPS. This at least gives me something to talk about with tech support on Monday.

Tony H

Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:23 AM
  • Just downloaded the latest LanSafe software and installed (UPSDriver first, then LanSafe). WinDriver does still not show up as a virtual device but LanSafe recognised the UPS.

LanSafe v5.1.3 displays volts etc. and the shutdown sequence worked. I will see if it continues to work over the next week.

Tony H

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:43 AM
  • Anyone running the Lansafe software know what the lstrayagent.exe does?
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 8:51 AM
  • I believe its the sys tray app - which on my machine keeps disappearing on the second login to the console...
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:46 PM
  • I would have thought the same. However, I have never seen the LanSafe icon in the tray (I use Terminal Services if I need to do anything that is not possible from the Console).

I have noted (and will continue to monitor) the memory leak. Curiously, on an XP machine that does display the LanSafe icon in the tray, LSTrayAgent.exe is not running! This machine does not have a UPS connected so that might be relevant.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Memory leak seems to be at a fairly constant rate of about 1,400K/hour or 34,000K/day.

I have just tested a manual shutdown from LanSafe after setting it up for a five minute restart time. The UPS shutdown about two minutes after it shutdown the WHS box. The UPS started again five minutes after it shutdown. I have set up the BIOS to always start when power is re-instated.

I will use LanSafe to automatically do an overnight, brief shutdown every day to limit the size of this process.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Just for the record, I also have a Powerware 5110. I had it running fine for about 2-3 months.
    I turned it off to install another HDD and the USB hasn't worked since (Code 1 error).
    I tried uninstalling / restalling drivers and software but no joy.

I guess I will try tech support in NZ...

BTW: When it was running I noticed the memory leak was causing a fairly constant churn of the page files resulting in low but continuous disk usage.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:12 PM
  • I have experienced problems re-installing the USB driver for powerware for some time.

The USB driver worked until I reconfigured the system, after which it failed  and subsequent reinstalls would result in errors.

I followed the Eaton Powerware instructions for removing the existing install and reinstalling but found the problem persisted.

I found that the most common error was reported as 'The required section was not found in the INF'.

Setupapi.log showed that the missing section was [ClassInstall32], even though it shouldn't be required for a "device class" install,  so I added an empty [ClassInstall32] section  to the PwdUSB.inf after the [SourceDisksFiles.amd64] and before the [DestinationDirs] section.

Worked a treat - so far.

Hopes this helps someone.

• Proposed as answer by MarkAtNeerim Monday, May 10, 2010 11:41 AM
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:05 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I tried your patch, and it worked a treat !

Thanks heaps

Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:42 AM
  • Thanks MarkAtNeerim!

Was having exactly the same problem after changing my system config (drives, etc) and [ClassInstall32] fixed it and now it works perfectly.

BTW - I had the same problem with v5 Lansafe and upgraded to v6 without problems... however this problem came up after the hardware changes and trying to reinstall the USB driver.

Thanks Heaps!
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:53 AM
  • G'day,

I have the same problem.

Can you post a copy of the wording in the forum so I can copy and paste it into the *.inf file?

Or a link where I can download the file from?

Thanks again.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I just added a [ClassInstall32] section before the [DestinationDirs] section in the PwdUSB.inf and then install worked fine.

That part of the .inf file should look something like this.

Code Snippet

[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
    WinDrvr6.sys=3  ; This indicates that these files are located on disk1
    PWcoinst32.dll=1
    PWcoinst64.dll=1
    PWcoinst32_Vista.dll=1
    PWcoinst64_Vista.dll=1
    WdReg.exe=1 ; Registration program for WinDriver, Win2000+
    WdReg64.exe=1 ; Registration program for WinDriver, Win2003,XP x64
    WdReg_Vista.exe=1 ; Registration program for WinDriver on Vista x86
    WdReg64_Vista.exe=1 ; Registration program for WinDriver on Vista x64
    WdReg16.exe=1 ; Same for Win98/ME

[ClassInstall32] ; <-- New line added here...***

[DestinationDirs]
    DefaultDestDir=12
    WinDrvrSys=10,system32\drivers
    PWCoinstCopyFilesSection_NT = 11                ; DIRID_SYSTEM
    PWCoinstCopyFilesSection_NTamd64 = 11                ; DIRID_SYSTEM
    PWCoinstCopyFilesSection_NT_Vista = 11                ; DIRID_SYSTEM
    PWCoinstCopyFilesSection_NTamd64_Vista = 11                ; DIRID_SYSTEM
    PWCoinstCopyFilesSection = 11                ; DIRID_SYSTEM

Good luck.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Thankyou,

I thought it was just that, but it seemed too simple.

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:51 PM
  • For USB related issue what need to do is to uninstall old usb driver (procedure is mentioned in UPSDriverReadMe.txt in UPSDriver package). Then need to install drivers again.   And need to install latest version (LanSafe 6) which is available on Powerware website.

For memory leak related issue, new version of LanSafe is expected to be available on Nov first week.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:41 AM
  • these UPS systems are such a piece of rubbish , i invested in 2 of these units , what a total waste of money , considering the box does its job , its the support that is a total waste of time and money , how can you justify the hours wasted on this garbage software to get the system to work , should have gone high end , not this rubbish , save some money on the unit , and then blow money down the toilet with set up time , dick smiths should take them off the shelf , they did in my local store after i told the guys how much trouble they are to set up , i should put in a claim for loss of hair due to software failure not to mention the out come of my diabetes , sending sugar levels soaring ,

these are a piece of garbage ,     save your money , buy a different brand pay twice the money and the install is done in 20 mins and works fine ,

very very unrealiable software support from this brand

my advice don't buy another one ever , they might be made in USA but i bet they are shipped from china

upgrade to a china model that comes from USA

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:35 AM
  • i absolutely agree, they are so hard to install. i first installed mine on my XP system, it went perfectly.

then i tried to install it on windows 7 and it refused to install both the drivers and the program

eventually, i contacted the company, the rep told me that i had not configured my AVG firewall correctly. i disabled that, it still wouldn't work through windows firewall. the rep did a remote assistance and after an hour, he got it going.

so i upgraded my pc 2 weeks ago and once again i cannot install either the driver or the software onto my machine.

i am so tired of trying, on monday i am going to buy a different brand on UPS, i have had it with Lansafe....

alos it comes up as unknown device and it is interferring with other USB devices.

there is no USB cable recognition, i even used a brand new cable.

i have spent days & days resesarching the forums for an answer to this.

i guess i should contact the Eaton bloke again but i am not sure if he would help me  second time. it took so much to convince him i hadn't done it incorrectly the first time.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:51 AM