Rename Business Unit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

One of our Business Units has changed its name and the users belonging to it is eager to see the new name appear in MS Dynamics CRM 4.0.

How can I rename a Business Unit in a fast and effective way?

Friday, January 16, 2009 11:38 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately you can not rename or delete a Business Unit. 

You will need to create a new business unit with the correct name. Move the users accross to the new business unit and then disable to old business unit. 

Hassan.

Friday, January 16, 2009 12:15 PM
  • You can change it in BusinessUnitBase table in organization database.
    It's fast and easy but not supported.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:40 PM
  • >>Is it possible that it will take some time for the SQL server to update with the new Business Unit?
    Could be. Try doing an IIS Reset.

H.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 2:14 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately you can not rename or delete a Business Unit. 

You will need to create a new business unit with the correct name. Move the users accross to the new business unit and then disable to old business unit. 

Hassan.

Friday, January 16, 2009 12:15 PM
  • You can change it in BusinessUnitBase table in organization database.
    It's fast and easy but not supported.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Thank you very much.

I have now created a new Business Unit with the new name and moved the users from the old Buisness Unit.

To disable the old Business Unit, I suppose I have to go to Settings - Administration - Business Units and disable the old Business Unit there?

But now I face a new challenge; when using the Advanced Find function trying to find Opportunities belonging to the new Business Unit, the new Business Unit is not visible in the list of Business Units.

When I choose My Workplace - Opportunities - Advanced Find then select the attribute Business Unit - Equals - then use the search icon on the right a list of Business Units appears to choose from but the new one is missing?

Do I have to make a workflow to change Business Unit on every entity? Or is it not possible on any entity?

Friday, January 16, 2009 1:11 PM
  • >>To disable the old Business Unit, I suppose I have to go to Settings - Administration - Business Units and disable the old Business Unit there?
    Yes.

>>But now I face a new challenge; when using the Advanced Find function trying to find Opportunities belonging to the new Business Unit, the new Business Unit is not visible in the list of Business Units.
    Opportunities are owned by users. So the opportunities go where the users go. If the users are in the new BU then the Opp. is in the new BU. Or am  I missing some thing?

>>Do I have to make a workflow to change Business Unit on every entity? Or is it not possible on any entity?
    Not sure why you would want to do this. Please explain.

H.

Friday, January 16, 2009 1:18 PM
  • ">>Do I have to make a workflow to change Business Unit on every entity? Or is it not possible on any entity?"
    "Not sure why you would want to do this. Please explain."

No need when the opportunity is owned by the user. I thought that it worked the way you described, but still I can't seem to get the new Business Unit available when using the Advanced Find function?

I have disabled the old Business Unit but still it appears in the list of the Advanced Find function. It also returns some opportunities owned by other users than the users belonging to that Business Unit.

Do I need to change from the old Business Unit to the new one on these opportunities?

Is it possible that it will take some time for the SQL server to update with the new Business Unit?  

Friday, January 16, 2009 1:51 PM
  • >>Is it possible that it will take some time for the SQL server to update with the new Business Unit?
    Could be. Try doing an IIS Reset.

H.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Thank you for your excellent and patient help

I will ask our IT-services vendor to restart the IIS and let you know if that did the trick

Friday, January 16, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Hello!

It turned out to be three things that had to be fixed by our IT-service provider.

1. Something was wrong with the configuration of the network service user on the SQL server
    2. The IIS had to be restarted (spot on!)
    3. A sevice called Async something had stopped and had to be restarted

Now everything seems to work just fine

Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:27 AM