none
Memory Upgrade on HP MSS - No Warranty Issues RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

So in all my troubles with the system I realized that upgrading the memory does not violate your warranty as long as you replace it with the original in the event of a problem.

If you look at page 45 in the manual it explicitly states you need to check if memory is firmly seated in the event of a certain error code. This is to be done before contacting support.

Upgrading the memory makes a big difference but do so at your own risk.

Enjoy.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 9:35 PM

All replies

• Very interesting - well spotted!

I would be interested to hear what HP would say about that though....

Andrew

Saturday, February 2, 2008 9:46 PM
  • I asked today. Said it was'nt recommended but since it is in writing you are covered.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:29 PM
  • :-)

Nice!

Something tells me a few people will be ordering some extra memory!

For all those interested in a step by step guide to changing the memory, take a look here: http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/upgrade-memory-in-your-hp-ex470.html

Andrew

Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Does it say that in the context of changing, ie upgrading, the memory?  Or just that if a certain error code is detected, to make sure the memory is seated.?  If this is just general troubleshooting type grid, then it's quite a leap in faith to assume this means changing memory is supported.  However, if it actually is talking about upgrading memory, then you're set (and the reps I talked to were clueless).

Memory can become unseated without changing it.  Esepcially after shipping.  Needing to re-seat memory in order to POST is a very common thing.

Two different HP tech support reps made it quite clear to me on the phone that opening the chassis to change or upgrade ANY component voided the warranty.  One even went as far as saying that if the memory went bad under warranty, that the replacement had to be done by a certifided technician in order to maintain the warranty.

However, sometimes reps are clueless / lazy, and just to protect their hide and their companies they often tell you the most restrictive thing, instead of just opening a ticket and doing the research and getting back to the customer.  And sometimes such "lazyness" is actually endorsed and encouraged by the employer in order to keep CS costs down.

I would recommend that anybody thinking of doing any upgrades that they first call the toll-free HP tech support number and be informed.  There is also an easy way to protect yourself from a clueles rep.

Make sure the representative opens a support incident tagged to your registered device S/N and logs that he/she has told you that upgrading the memory is supported and will not void your warranty.  Alternatively, instead of a support incident, they may be able to tag a comment to your account.  Then call back (you'll get a different rep likely), and have them check the database and read the comments back to you (you NEVER trust the first rep, because they often lie).  This way you are COVERED if they try to tell you in the future you aren't under warranty b/c you upgraded.

This tactic has saved my butt twice in the past.  When calling the first time, get their RepID and name.  Usually, they won't lie to you then.  If they do and the data isn't there when you call back, report them at that point in time.

Ryan

Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:02 AM
  • You are correct in that upgrading the memory will not get you support, which is the reason I suggested you need to keep you old memory in the event of a problem so you can swap back.

Simply opening the unit up etc. and messing with the memory does not void warranties as you are directed to do so in the manual if you receive a certain error.

So if you have problems, swap back to the old memory, call up HP, tell them you did what the manual told you to do and they will be forced to repair and or replace.

Cheers
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Panson, Ryan's point is that the act of replacing your memory may void your warranty, and swapping your old memory back in before you return your server for repair/replacement is merely a (dishonest) way of hiding what you've done.
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:18 PM