none
Remote access problem with Dlink DIR-825. RRS feed

• Question

• What is wrong with Dlink DIR-825???

I have tried to establish a successful remote access with my new DIR-825 router.

Enable fixed DHCP entry for the servers IP, enabled the port TCP 80,443 and 4125 in the virtual servers menu.  I can’t reach my server from the outside with only UPnP enabled. It only works if I have both UPnP enabled and the port TCP 80,443 and 4125 in the virtual servers menu.  But, when working, it seems to be a serious security problem. Using shields up, port 80,443 and 4125 is open.

My old 3com router works perfect with the same settings.  Here I have disabled the UPnP and set the port TCP 80,443 and 4125 in the virtual server menu. Shields up tell me that all port is stealth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

OleBandole

Friday, August 7, 2009 9:16 PM

Answers

• Kariya21;

yes, it seems that I have mixed the result here.
    I have checked both my routers again (3COM and Dlink DIR-825) and shieldsUP! tells that TCP port 80,443 and 4125 is open on both of them.
    It seems that I have turned off remote access and then tested the 3COM router, not strange that the port was reported as stealth! After working with the network for hours, I lose control…

It seems that I should manually configure port forwarding. But, what it’s the best approach for this? Using port forwarding or virtual server settings in my DLINK router?

You should check your manual for your router, but I would assume you want to use port forwarding (I know that it's called "port range forward" on my Linksys router).

I'am a little bit confused since the router has both "port forwarding" and "virtual server". Is it so that "virtual server" is best suited for single port forwarding and "port forward" is best used to open multiple ports or a range of ports in the router?

Thanks and regards,

OleBandole

• Marked as answer by OleBandole Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:14 AM
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:30 AM

All replies

• What is wrong with Dlink DIR-825???

I have tried to establish a successful remote access with my new DIR-825 router.

Enable fixed DHCP entry for the servers IP, enabled the port TCP 80,443 and 4125 in the virtual servers menu.  I can’t reach my server from the outside with only UPnP enabled. It only works if I have both UPnP enabled and the port TCP 80,443 and 4125 in the virtual servers menu.

Chances are your uPnP isn't compatible.  I would suggest you disable the uPnP and stick with the manual configuration.

But, when working, it seems to be a serious security problem. Using shields up, port 80,443 and 4125 is open.

80 and 443 are supposed to be open.  Without that, you could never reach your server from outside your LAN.  As for 4125, that should only show open on Shields Up! while connecting to desktop of one of the clients inside your LAN while using the Remote Access website.

My old 3com router works perfect with the same settings.  Here I have disabled the UPnP and set the port TCP 80,443 and 4125 in the virtual server menu. Shields up tell me that all port is stealth.

If they were all stealth on Shields Up!, there is no way it could have possibly worked from outside your LAN.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

OleBandole

Friday, August 7, 2009 11:58 PM
  • Kariya21;

I have checked both my routers again (3COM and Dlink DIR-825) and shieldsUP! tells that TCP port 80,443 and 4125 is open on both of them.
    It seems that I have turned off remote access and then tested the 3COM router, not strange that the port was reported as stealth! After working with the network for hours, I lose control…

It seems that I should manually configure port forwarding. But, what it’s the best approach for this? Using port forwarding or virtual server settings in my DLINK router?

I'am a little bit confused since the router has both "port forwarding" and "virtual server". Is it so that "virtual server" is best suited for single port forwarding and "port forward" is best used to open multiple ports or a range of ports in the router?

Thanks and regards,

OleBandole

Saturday, August 8, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Kariya21;

You should check your manual for your router, but I would assume you want to use port forwarding (I know that it's called "port range forward" on my Linksys router).

Thanks and regards,

OleBandole

• Marked as answer by OleBandole Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:14 AM
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:30 AM