TV archive failing RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed PP3 and im trying to test the new TV archive option in MCE7.  I set it up and chose a TV show to archive, I checked the "activity" option to find that it had failed with the following error:   The file cannot be compressed because your computer does not have an AC3 decoder. Install an AC3 decorder and..... "  And i can't read the rest of the message, but you get the gist... any idea what AC3 decoder I need to install and where to get it?

I just installed AC3Filter and im still getting the same error message.. Any ideas?

EDIT:  I even tried installing AC3 filter on my WHS machine.  and still same error. 

Has anyone tried this feature and gotten it to work???
    • Edited by reakhavok Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:52 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:00 AM

Answers

• TBOMK  I have a "Plain win7100 install".  No AC3 filter(s) added and mine is well.  I rekon you need to grab the MCdiag tool from the win7 downloads and submit a bug report please.
    Grey
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Confirmed.
    Running 7RC/build 7100: No need for AC3 or any other codecs.

@Gerke
    I'm using a Hauppauge PVR-150 running with the standrad drivers that come with Windows 7. No additional sofware installed.
    Could it be that you installed non-Windows 7 compatible drivers and/or applications for the Hauppauge WinTV card? If so this could have installed a non compatible codec or driver?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:38 PM

All replies

• I think this is more a Media Center (Win7) problem. You could have a look overhere, or try MCE forums such as http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/ or http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/default.aspx
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:56 PM
  • What version of W7 are you using?  32 bit or 64 bit?  If 64 bit, is your AC3 decoder 32 bit or 64 bit?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:44 AM
  • All the work is done on the client, so no sense fingering with the server.  Can you view DVD's on your Win7 Box?  What build of Win7 do you have?  What TV tuner is in it?
    Grey
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 1:10 PM
  • I have the same problem.  32 bit Windows 7 RC, all video files and DVD's play without a problem.   Tuner card is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 1229.

Edit:  After installing AC3Filter, the TV Archive with compression appears to be working, albeit very slowly.  It's been working on a standard-def 1 hour show for about 50 minutes, and it is 3% done.  CPU usage (AMD x2 4850e) has been 95-100% the entire time.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:13 PM
  • TBOMK  I have a "Plain win7100 install".  No AC3 filter(s) added and mine is well.  I rekon you need to grab the MCdiag tool from the win7 downloads and submit a bug report please.
    Grey
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:19 PM
  • im running windows 7 RC1 X64.  My TV tuner is an Avermedia A180. all DVD's and movies play fine on my media center.  I even installed ACfilter and TV Archive still fails.  I did install the 64 bit version of AC3filter.

-Gerke, after you installed AC3Filter did you do any special configs/setting.  or did you simply run the install and the TV Archive started working?
    Monday, July 20, 2009 12:28 AM
  • I simply ran the AC3Filter install, left everything on the default settings, restarted Media Center, and it worked.  I stopped it before it finished archiving a single show, however - it was taking far too long to be useful.  2 hours of processing and it was only 8% done with 1 show.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Confirmed.
    Running 7RC/build 7100: No need for AC3 or any other codecs.

@Gerke
    I'm using a Hauppauge PVR-150 running with the standrad drivers that come with Windows 7. No additional sofware installed.
    Could it be that you installed non-Windows 7 compatible drivers and/or applications for the Hauppauge WinTV card? If so this could have installed a non compatible codec or driver?

- Theo.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:38 PM
  • On a clean install of W7 32Bit RTM I get the same issue. Dual tuner Digital Now DVB-T card. Live and recorded TV plays fine.

No solution for me so far, and I shouldn't have to install AC3 filter or anything similar to get it working...
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Confirming.
    Running for Windows 7 RTM (64 bits): No need for AC3 or any other codecs.

- Theo,
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:36 PM