My copy of Windows XP is genuine, but fails upon installing updates. RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried every step I could find via the Microsoft web site to validate my copy of Windows XP Home Edition, and although all of the results say "genuine", no updates can be installed.

Also, I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I recently purchased a new mobo/cpu combo, and upon installing my orignial EIDE hard drive (I ghosted that old hard drive onto a new SATA drive, which I am currently using), I could no longer successfully download updates through Windows Update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. =]

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BRX3H-MD8QT-9D6F8
    Windows Product Key Hash: Walh0BSJs/TQYOQNGSmMzBRv/Is=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2147232-51919
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {ADD7B715-C19D-401B-A3B9-6D8211B6E92E}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->
    Grace Flag: N/A
    Commit: N/A
    Reboot Flag: N/A
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{ADD7B715-C19D-401B-A3B9-6D8211B6E92E}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-9D6F8</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2147232-51919</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-295340901-2754111128-1943551067</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTELR</Manufacturer><Model>LG-95Z</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20061208000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>551F3F570184204B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>eMachines</name><model>C2280</model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:05 PM

Answers

•  

Skadodie,

Your OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for XP.  One of the limitations is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) it is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  In order to read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

The interpretation and enforcement of the OEM EULA regards a change in motherboard for the reason of upgrading to get new features, enhanced performance, etc, constitutes a "new computer."

(This interpretation is intended to protect the system builder/OEM who built the computer from having to support hardware and software that they did not install.  This is a good thing when your small local computer shop is the system builder, but things get very convoluted when you, the end user, buy an OEM license for XP and build your own computer.  That makes you both the system builder and the end user.)

On the other hand, making the same, exact change of motherboard because the old motherboard was defective is permitted by Microsoft's interpretation and enforcement of the EULA.

The method of enforcement of this policy is the Telephonic activation.  If your telephonic activation attempt is rejected by the automated system, you are asked if you want to speak with a live activation representative.  The rep asks you some questions to see if you are still using your copy of XP in accordance with the EULA. 

Hopefully this has explained what you are experiencing. 

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Hello Skadodie,

You should be able to download updates. Now you have a new product key and I presume you have completed a fresh install of the OEM windows and used the new key after you were given the new key. Please try and make updates when you can.  Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:46 PM

All replies

•  

Skadodie,

Your OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for XP.  One of the limitations is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) it is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  In order to read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

The interpretation and enforcement of the OEM EULA regards a change in motherboard for the reason of upgrading to get new features, enhanced performance, etc, constitutes a "new computer."

(This interpretation is intended to protect the system builder/OEM who built the computer from having to support hardware and software that they did not install.  This is a good thing when your small local computer shop is the system builder, but things get very convoluted when you, the end user, buy an OEM license for XP and build your own computer.  That makes you both the system builder and the end user.)

On the other hand, making the same, exact change of motherboard because the old motherboard was defective is permitted by Microsoft's interpretation and enforcement of the EULA.

The method of enforcement of this policy is the Telephonic activation.  If your telephonic activation attempt is rejected by the automated system, you are asked if you want to speak with a live activation representative.  The rep asks you some questions to see if you are still using your copy of XP in accordance with the EULA. 

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:50 PM
  •  Stephen MS wrote:

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

That is exactly what I ended up doing upon finalizing the installation of my new mobo. In short, I replaced the old computer (which had a defective motherboard due to a faulty power supply) completely, except for the hard drive. After installing the hard drive, Windows asked for validation, and upon doing so, I ended up having to call tech support. We went through the whole process of asking for the Installation ID, etc, and when asked for my Product Key, I gave him the one that was on the original computer (eMachines), and it was accepted, and he gave me a new key to use, which worked fine. However, he never mentioned anything of the EULA. Does this leave me stuck with not being able to download Windows Updates anymore? Or is the only way I can find out for sure is if I use Start > Run > winver? (I would do that right now but the computer belongs to my parents, and they keep it in their room so I rarely have access to it.)
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Hello Skadodie,

You should be able to download updates. Now you have a new product key and I presume you have completed a fresh install of the OEM windows and used the new key after you were given the new key. Please try and make updates when you can.  Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Would it matter if I performed a fresh install compared to just running a repair of the HAL file so the hard drive could be used with the new motherboard?

I hooked up my original hard drive to the new mobo and had to run a repair (since we didn't want to lose any data). After the repair, Windows booted correctly, but it was afterwards that I had to call tech support to validate my copy, which, after the new key was accepted, followed failed installations of updates.

& just a thought... if all else fails, could the reason be that the Windows Update server is down?
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Skadodie,

It is always best to perform a fresh installation of the Operating system anytime you perform a major upgrade and/or repair. Make sure you back all your data. Let me provide you with a link which can help you with reinstallation proceedures: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen Holm MS 

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:55 PM