locked
Visual studio cannot find symbols while debugging plugin RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've been trying to set up the debugging using the VS remote debugger, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why it isn't working  I've followed the both of the following tutorials: 

    http://thecrmgrid.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/debugging-plug-ins-in-v40/

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc151088.aspx

    Here's the basic path that I follow:

    1: build the project.  I've made sure that it is signed, and I've made sure to clear out any old PDB files each time I build. 

    2.  Register the plugin with the Plugin Registration tool.  I've tried completely removing the plugin, and registering the pluging.   I use the database to store the assembly.

    3.  I copy the PDB file from the build directory and copy it into the D:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Server\bin\assembly directory. 

    4.  I reset IIS.

    5.  I reload the server page to restart the w3wp.exe process

    6.  I attach to that process in visual studio on my local machine.  I use the "Default" transport and use the servername as the qualifier.  I am sure I'm using the correct server name.

    7.  Once I attach to the process, my breakpoints turn hollow and I get an error message for each saying "This breakpoint will not currently be hit.  No Symbols have been loaded for this document."

    I've tried a dozen different permutations to try to get this working with no success.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:03 PM

Answers

  • I've had this before and has also driven me made.  In the end I close all my IE's to resolved the issue.  Hope this works for you.
    @_Simon_Jackson http://www.simonjackson.info/ MBCS MCBMSS MCBMSP MCSD MCDBA MCAD MCSA
    • Marked as answer by Dan Landberg Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:49 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Following are the check list to set up debugging on Plugin/custom workflow..

    1-Ensure that your plug-in is signed

    2-Rebuild the plug-in

    3-run an iisreset command, and restart CRM Async Service

    4-copy the .pdb file and your .dll file to server\bin\assembly

    5-Register the Plugin Registration Tool V2 (http://code.msdn.com/crmplugin)

    Refer to your dll in bin\assembly

    Make it disk deployment

    6-Register the step

    7-Register the image if needed

    8-Attach to w3wp.exe if Synchronous plug-in or to AsyncService if asynchronous plug-in

     

    You must be all set by then....hope this helps

    • Marked as answer by Dan Landberg Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:49 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:09 AM

All replies

  • I've had this before and has also driven me made.  In the end I close all my IE's to resolved the issue.  Hope this works for you.
    @_Simon_Jackson http://www.simonjackson.info/ MBCS MCBMSS MCBMSP MCSD MCDBA MCAD MCSA
    • Marked as answer by Dan Landberg Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:49 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Sometimes the symbols aren't found until the breakpoint is hit during execution. Have you actually hit the breakpoint? What is the message your trying to use with your plugin?

    Is your user account in the AD Debugger Users group?
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:52 PM
    Moderator
  • Have you tried restarting the Async Service?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Following are the check list to set up debugging on Plugin/custom workflow..

    1-Ensure that your plug-in is signed

    2-Rebuild the plug-in

    3-run an iisreset command, and restart CRM Async Service

    4-copy the .pdb file and your .dll file to server\bin\assembly

    5-Register the Plugin Registration Tool V2 (http://code.msdn.com/crmplugin)

    Refer to your dll in bin\assembly

    Make it disk deployment

    6-Register the step

    7-Register the image if needed

    8-Attach to w3wp.exe if Synchronous plug-in or to AsyncService if asynchronous plug-in

     

    You must be all set by then....hope this helps

    • Marked as answer by Dan Landberg Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:49 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:09 AM
  • I'm assuming this may have been what got it working for me, because it magically started working for me.  I'm not sure what I might have done to get it to start working. 
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:50 PM
  • I marked this as an answer because even though it isn't what helped me, I know it will end up helping at least one person who will be having the same issue. 
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:52 PM
  • I think restarting IE works because you get a new server session. Anyway glad it's working for you.
    @_Simon_Jackson http://www.simonjackson.info/ MBCS MCBMSS MCBMSP MCSD MCDBA MCAD MCSA
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:41 PM