Possible Microsoft Money bug RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Sunset (v17.0.120.3817) on both Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.  Each Windows version is on the latest service pack with all the latest updates installed (as of 11/3/2011).

Here is what happened.  Hopefully someone can tell me if I am doing something wrong or if this is, in fact, a bug.

I had a biweekly bill scheduled for every other Friday, with the next one occurring on 11/11.  My intent was to skip the occurrence on 11/25 and double up the amount on 11/11.  So what I did in Microsoft Money was right click on the bill in BILLS SUMMARY, choose SKIP THIS OCCURRENCE, check the first box and click OK.  (This made the next occurrence 11/25.)  I then again right clicked on the bill in BILL SUMMARY, chose EDIT, and then EDIT SINGLE OCCURRENCE.  It was my intent to change the date of this first occurrence, now listed as 11/25, to 11/11.  I choose the date and click APPLY CHANGE, but get a message saying:

"The payment date of this bill must fall between November 11, 2011 and December 9, 2011.  (These are the payment dates for the occurrences immediately before and after this occurrence."

So what I ended up doing was making the date of the next occurrence 11/12 and all is fine.  However, what worries me is that I've done something like this before in Money--skipped the next bill occurrence but changed the date of another occurrence to the date of the bill that was skipped--and never had any problems.  So this is something new.

I've also experienced some other bugs here and there.  Taken as a single bug, they don't really worry me.  But taken as a whole, and knowing that there will be no more updates to Money, really has me worried that Money might not be the software to stick with.

Has anyone experienced the bug I described above?  Or any other bugs for that matter?  And, if so, please describe the bug.

thanks,

mike.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:31 PM

Answers

• You should have edited the two entries separately.

In the Bills Summary, select Edit Single Occurrence and change the amount for the 11/11 occurrence to double the usual amount. Then repeat the procedure, but this time select the 11/25 occurrence and change the amount to zero.

If you try to change the date for the 11/25 occurrence to anything outside 11/12 to 12/8 (unless the adjacent transaction dates have been changed, when Money will use the amended dates as the limits) Money will object because dates outside that range are assigned to other transactions in the series.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 7:20 PM

All replies

• I've also experienced some other bugs here and there.  Taken as a single bug, they don't really worry me.  But taken as a whole, and knowing that there will be no more updates to Money, really has me worried that Money might not be the software to stick with.

Has anyone experienced the bug I described above?  Or any other bugs for that matter?  And, if so, please describe the bug.

M+ Deluxe "might not be the software to stick with" if you have an alternate, less infested, alternative.

Did you find a defect? From your description, and that you establish this as a defect based solely on the recollection that you've attempted the same thing before and not gotten a message telling you not to do it, I'm not convinced.

Are there other defects still in M+ Sunset? Sure. Not that any specific, high impact, pervasive, or readily reproducible ones come to mind, but it's still way too easy to do things that elicit bogus "negative shares" messages. All the problems that led to the addition of Nuke The Bills are still there and Nuke The Bills is only a pathetic workaround not a fix to the underlying defect(s). There are too many ways to end up at "Transaction Cannot Be Entered." The storage schema is still a non-normalized, overripe mess way past due for a complete refactoring. But, again, what's your alternative?

Friday, November 4, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, Dick.

Did you find a defect?

I don't know.  That's why I posted here.  I asked if anyone can tell me if I did something wrong or if what I described was a bug.

From your description, and that you establish this as a defect based solely on the recollection that you've attempted the same thing before and not gotten a message telling you not to do it, I'm not convinced.

Personally, I'm not basing my opinion that this could be a bug on solely a "recollection," as you've put it.  I've performed these steps many times in the past to do what I was trying to do.  And it's always worked.  It's only now that it's no longer working.  Also, the message I get isn't one telling me I *shouldn't* do it, but rather one that's telling me it *can't* be done.

Again, I've noticed other things pop up here and there that weren't issues in the past but only recently became issues.  *This* is what worries me.  That issues might be slowly cropping up that weren't issues before.  And since MSM is not being supported any longer, they won't get fixed.

But, again, what's your alternative?

I agree there is no program better than MSM, but that is only true with a functioning MSM.  If enough issues crop up so that MSM is no longer usable, it doesn't matter what alternatives there are...they will *have* to be used.

Friday, November 4, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Nobody here has access to the design documentation (if any ever existed) or the code, so nobody here can say if you've found a defect. As to your having seen it not issue this message, OK. I just tried your scernario and I saw the message. My repeatability is 100%. Perhaps there was something subtly different in the cases where you didn't see it? If you post a detailed re-creation scenario for that case, I'll see if I can re-create here. Of course, that still won't confirm a defect. Even if it could, it's still kinda like the tree falling deep in the forest--whether or not it made a noise doesn't make much difference.

I can't recall anything new in the way of defects being identified in years re. M+. Maybe I've missed something. Near as I can tell lots of people are "discovering" defects others "discovered" before them. It's been out over four years now. It, in turn, was very little changed from M05 which came out in fall of '04 so we have seven years on most of it. It's pretty well characterized by now.

The threat does exist that some new bug, maybe one time related, maybe one that is some accumulating problem like the Bills problems, will show up for all of us. I'd think more likely for any given user is that they do one of the things that gets them in "Transaction cannot be entered" or similar. Deep backups seem to solve most of those problems. Even more likely for all of us is that some future OS or IE breaks M+ completely. My hedge against that risk is having a functioning M+ environment in a VM.

YMMV.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:15 PM
  • My contribution is that the message the OP got is what I would expect to happen.  The bill series is STILL configured to occur every two weeks even if one occurence  is deleted.  The message is just trying to prevent us from going outside the parameters WE have set ("every two weeks, please").  Having said that, I have never seen that message myself (until I just tested it) despite using Money since the Windows 95 freebie version, probably because the method I use when I want to achieve what the OP has described is to double the 11th November amount and to set the 25th November amount to zero.

Using MSmoney UK.

EDIT: Just to be clear, this method DOES work.

• Edited by banjomike Saturday, November 5, 2011 7:29 PM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:46 PM
  • You should have edited the two entries separately.

In the Bills Summary, select Edit Single Occurrence and change the amount for the 11/11 occurrence to double the usual amount. Then repeat the procedure, but this time select the 11/25 occurrence and change the amount to zero.

If you try to change the date for the 11/25 occurrence to anything outside 11/12 to 12/8 (unless the adjacent transaction dates have been changed, when Money will use the amended dates as the limits) Money will object because dates outside that range are assigned to other transactions in the series.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 7:20 PM