disable jpg file creation when moving or renaming files in windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• i have a question when i move files from my main computer to my home server  or if i rename files on my home server i get jpg file creations of my videos etc  how can i turn this off as i dont need images of my videos what is the purpose of this?  i find it using up my diskspace

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:55 PM

All replies

• Can you tell us more about your server? Home-built, or OEM device? If the latter, from whom? What add-ins have you installed? Have you installed anything from the server's desktop? Have you made any configuration changes from the desktop?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:26 PM
  • its the acer easystore h340 computer no monitor options or keyboard etc.  its the oem. staples was selling it.
    no add-ins installed    nope nothing added on or anything

what i do is on my client computers say for videos   i choose  move  and to the server and it creates a jpg of each file name  if i even rename the file name  it will recreate a jpg file of the the video  so then if u click the jpg  it shows a pic of the video just like the first frame or so 
    so its ____ me off cuz i have to keep researching the jpgs to delete them

also  why is the search ____ in the home server not like vista or xp etc  if i do the search in home server i cant hight light all the files and hit delete u have to delete 1 file at a time, and over 1200 videos of my trips and stuff and its ____  i find out its not as good as regular windows

oh and another question when u do that section for for server storage and u link a 2nd and 3rd hd  to it,  does it raid the data over the 3 hds or if 1 hd goes ur screwed  i dunno if thats raided or not  
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:30 PM
  • I have the same question, actually.  Anytime I copy a video file over to my machine (Acer EasyStore h340), it creates a .jpg file of the first frame of the video.  It's a hidden file, but it's visible to anyone who accesses the files remotely (http://<server>.homeserver.com).  I would very much like to turn that off, as it's bothersome to have 50 .avi files and 50 .jpg files.  :P

I'm still researching, but want to note that I had the same question.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Sorry for the double-post, but did just find that I can get rid of the Thumbs.db files by selecting "Do not cache thumbnails" from the Folder Options, View tab.  I read a warning somewhere that it might result in folders being opened slower, but it seems to be the case only when folders are shown in Thumbnail view, so not really a problem.

If I delete all the .jpg files, they don't get recreated, so that's one workaround.  ...though that was after I disabled DMS (Digital Media Server) through the connector.

So that's a solution for me anyway.  :)  I just turn on Media Library Sharing for my videos folder, but disable DMS, because DMS doesn't allow any avi files to play, or be seen by my XBox, but when I turn on Media Library Sharing for my videos folder, then I can play pretty much everything (avi/wmv/mpg).  With DMS, I seem only able to play some of the .wmv's.  And those pesky JPG's seem to stay away!!

Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:01 AM
  • thats ok  i didnt think anyone would ever reply back lol  where do u turn off do not ache thumbails.

so i have to disable the DMS  what is that really for?  i just use the server to store my videos and pictures for now i got more issues like i have 4 hard drives in there if the data is stripped  to make 1 big hard drive if one goes down will all my data get erased so i not sure about that

but the media librar sharing where do i see that?  i cant even access my server on my vista like  \\server      i have to actually go into network neighobourhood and double click the server name go figure eh.

i dunno if u have this problem  i might post a new topic  but i can not access the server  from the internet from a remote location even though the dlink firewall  lets the port 3389 accessable and also i tired making it a DMZ   yet all ican access is the webserver of it not the actual server remote desktop  have you come accross that problem yet

Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:59 PM