Create New Organization / One or More Arguments are Invalid in Deployment Manager RRS feed

• Question

• We're seeing a new issue when attempting to create an organization through the Deployment Manager.   We just started seeing this issue on the 31st of last week.  On the 30th it was working fine.  

In short, the error we're receiving kicks back immediately after you finish the Deployment Manager New Organization wizard.   The error is: 

13:12:05|  Error| Create new Organization (Name=manual005com, Id=50ed102a-bcba-df11-b81f-00155d022803) failed with Exception:

System.ArgumentException: One or more arguments are invalid

at System.DirectoryServices.Interop.UnsafeNativeMethods.IAds.PutEx(Int32 lnControlCode, String bstrName, Object vProp)

at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.set_Value(Object value)

at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Utility.ADUtility.GrantAccess(DirectoryEntry groupEntry, String accountName)

at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Utility.NewOrgUtility.OrganizationConfigureGroups(String languageCode, String privilegedUserGroup, String sqlAccessGroup, String userGroup, String reportingGroup, String privilegedReportingGroup, Guid organizationId)

at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Utility.NewOrgUtility.ConfigureOrganization(String organizationId, String organizationName, String userAccountName, String userFirstName, String userLastName, String userEmail, String languageCode, String privilegedUserGroup, String sqlAccessGroup, String userGroup, String reportingGroup, String privilegedReportingGroup, Boolean grantNetworkServiceAccess, Boolean autoGroupManagement, String importFileLocation, Boolean sqmOption)

at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.CreateOrganizationInstaller.Create(Guid organizationId, String organizationUniqueName, String organizationFriendlyName, String baseCurrencyCode, String baseCurrencyName, String baseCurrencySymbol, String initialUserDomainName, String initialUserFirstName, String initialUserLastName, String sqlServerName, Uri reportServerUrl, String privilegedUserGroupName, String sqlAccessGroupName, String userGroupName, String reportingGroupName, String privilegedReportingGroupName, String applicationPath, String languageId, Boolean sqmOption, String organizationCollation, MultipleTenancy multipleTenancy)

We have multiple front-end servers and can replicate the issue on both servers.  We have attempted a simple restart of the SQL services, but that did not change the error.  We're unable to reboot the server till tonight.  I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into this issue? 

Thanks. 

-matt

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:18 PM

All replies

• Is the user you are using for deployment manager a domain admin or have write access to you AD?

Also make sure that the CRMAppPool account is in the AD PrivUserGroup group. 

MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Yep, all of those items are true.  We made no changes to the user who is running this service, etc.  Same user on the 30th could perform the action, then on the 31st they could not perform the action and haven't been able to ever since.  This occurs on multiple systems running the Deployment Manager and multiple users who used to work.  

-matt

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 10:25 PM
  • The error messsage (although not always relating to the probable cause) looks as though the user does not have the correct permissions to the AD. Please double check this, otherwise make sure you have the latest rollup installed.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:21 PM
  • One of the users we're using, which is also the original user we setup CRM with, is the domain administrator account.   We've been using that user for 2 years and suddenly the above issue started happening.  In fact, we have logs where it worked, then 10 minutes later it was failing.  

Is there a particular rollup and KB article for CRM that addresses the above error?   From the stack trace it looks like this might have to do with ADSI.  I found one KB article: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822953

which matches the error and matches up to an issue with ADSI and group memberships.  If you'll notice in the stack, the MS code is attempting to perform a group modification 

-matt

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Yes I read this and I can only think of checking the server to see if any updates were applied on the 30th-31st to see if one caused the issue to occur. I cannot find any specific rollup fixes that apply to you issue but Rollup 12 would be you best bet. what Rollup do you currently have installed?
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Currently, we're running RU12 and the issue persists.  We have gone through our change logs and no updates were applied around the 30th or 31st.  If you set the registry key 'AutoGroupManagementOff' to the value of 1 it will bypass that group modification code in the MS stack and allow the tenant to be created.  We have now escalated the issue to PSS to determine why having that reg key like normal is causing issues. 

I'll post the solution once I get one. :) 

Thanks. 

-matt

Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:37 PM