Large Drive Addition RRS feed

• Question

• Evening folks!

I am having some trouble getting WHS 2011 to recognize the size of my drives.  I have 1x400gb O/S drive it is seeing as a 59.9gb, and a 3TB drive it is seeing as a 312gb drive. 

What am I missing?  I set up the MB to see the drives using ACHI, and the MB reads them correctly, and during the initial install (again) it read them properly, but once fully installed most of my drives are missing.  

The 3tb drive is a SATA3 drive, and I have a SATA3 controller coming in the mail this week, would this help in increasing the drive space?  If not then is there a way to assign a drive letter to the unallocated space and get it active?

Any assistance appreciated.

Ron

• Edited by Ron VanD Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:55 PM
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:30 PM

Answers

• Good call on the needing to be added, but it still only shows the main 2tb and not the 768gb or so that I cannot get the system to "allocate".  Any ideas on that?

Is it installed as part of server storage, or as a server backup drive? If the latter, Windows Home Server won't use the last 750+ GB on the drive for anything.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ron VanD Friday, December 9, 2011 5:12 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 12:20 PM

All replies

• What you are seeing is the 400GB drive that by default is being split into a 60GB OS partition and the remainder of the drive as D drive. The D drive will contain the default folders created during installation.

The 3TB drive has not been added to the system. Which is done via the dashboard.

When added you will probably find it added as two seperate drives. One of 2TB and the other as 1TB. Each partition or drive will have its own drive letter. At this point I do not have a 3TB to look at but think that is what you will find happens.

For backups configured and scheduled via the dashboard the largest drive that can be backed up is 2TB.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Edited by frogz1 Monday, December 5, 2011 12:56 AM typo
    Monday, December 5, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Good call on the needing to be added, but it still only shows the main 2tb and not the 768gb or so that I cannot get the system to "allocate".  Any ideas on that?

Thanks for a partial though, it helps alot.

Ron

Monday, December 5, 2011 4:15 AM
  • You could try accessing the server desktop and then using disk management to allocate and format the missing "1TB".

Not having a 3TB drive have not tried this but I suspect it will work OK. 

Another option if the server disk management will not allocate and format the extra space, it could be temporarily removed and partitioned in a win 7 machine.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Monday, December 5, 2011 6:40 AM

Is it installed as part of server storage, or as a server backup drive? If the latter, Windows Home Server won't use the last 750+ GB on the drive for anything.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ron VanD Friday, December 9, 2011 5:12 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Thanks Ken for responding.

It is currently set up as storage, I have a 1.5tb external drive I am adding as the backup drive.

I ran Server Management and looked over what that had to tell me.  It shows (currently) that there are 746.52gb of unallocated space on the 3tb drive, and 2048gb configured as a drive letter (storage).  But it wont let me allocate the remaining 746gb for anything.  I have not yet explored all the admin tool, the first time I tried it I had to reload the entire system because I screwed with the security settings (Lesson learned).  Do you know of a way to get that space allocated for use?  I'd hate to have to go through the time and energy of removing the drive and plugging it into my Win7U system to get the space added on, but will if that is the only option I have.

Ron

Monday, December 5, 2011 5:31 PM