How can I change the account owner of files restored from a backup? RRS feed

• Question

• I have reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition.  I have restored files for myself, my husband, and my nephew from a backup.  (It is Western Digital's MyBook Memeo software.)

All the files are present, however, I am the owner of the files -- even those files in my husband's and nephew's directories.

I have already been through "How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP" and a few other Google-found web pages.  And, by booting into Windows Safe Mode, I am able to change the owner of the folders.  However, I am not able to change the owner of the files.

The three account names are identical to what they were before.  However, I am aware that the security IDs are likely different.  (For example, Account Unknown shows up in one place.)

In Windows Safe Mode, I can right-click on a file or folder, and choose the Security tab.  On the Security tab, I can click the [Advanced] button near the bottom and see the owner.  The appropriate owner (my husband or nephew) does not even show up as valid owners for the files or folders.

In my Windows XP Home Edition, I have to boot into Safe mode in order to see the Security tab when choosing "Properties" when I right-click.

What I want to do is SIMPLY change the owner of the Documents and Settings folders for my husband and nephew to be their existing accounts.  Can you offer me any suggestions on what to try next?

Thank you.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:36 PM

Answers

• This forum is about Windows Home Server, which is also a platform for backup. Since you don't use this, you are offtopic here.

This being said, you cannot simply change the NTFS security of the folders and consider this as done.
    Problem are the security settings in the registry, which are not properly handled that way.
    Instead I recommend to copy the data files you want to keep to the new (for the new account) created documents and settings subfolder (copy, not cut and paste to get the permissions properly set) and recreate the remaining settings.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:59 PM
  • I have reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition.  I have restored files for myself, my husband, and my nephew from a backup.  (It is Western Digital's MyBook Memeo software.)

All the files are present, however, I am the owner of the files -- even those files in my husband's and nephew's directories.

I have already been through "How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP" and a few other Google-found web pages.  And, by booting into Windows Safe Mode, I am able to change the owner of the folders.  However, I am not able to change the owner of the files.

The three account names are identical to what they were before.  However, I am aware that the security IDs are likely different.  (For example, Account Unknown shows up in one place.)

In Windows Safe Mode, I can right-click on a file or folder, and choose the Security tab.  On the Security tab, I can click the [Advanced] button near the bottom and see the owner.  The appropriate owner (my husband or nephew) does not even show up as valid owners for the files or folders.

In my Windows XP Home Edition, I have to boot into Safe mode in order to see the Security tab when choosing "Properties" when I right-click.

What I want to do is SIMPLY change the owner of the Documents and Settings folders for my husband and nephew to be their existing accounts.  Can you offer me any suggestions on what to try next?

Thank you.
    As Olaf mentioned, this forum is for Windows Home Server.  If you want additional help, you should try posting your question in the XP forums.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:26 PM

All replies

• This forum is about Windows Home Server, which is also a platform for backup. Since you don't use this, you are offtopic here.

This being said, you cannot simply change the NTFS security of the folders and consider this as done.
    Problem are the security settings in the registry, which are not properly handled that way.
    Instead I recommend to copy the data files you want to keep to the new (for the new account) created documents and settings subfolder (copy, not cut and paste to get the permissions properly set) and recreate the remaining settings.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:59 PM

Thank you.
    As Olaf mentioned, this forum is for Windows Home Server.  If you want additional help, you should try posting your question in the XP forums.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:26 PM