Certification Testing RRS feed

• Question

• I had a retake scheduled for March 27th of this year, however before I could take it I was informed that my testing center was closing on that day and if I did not contact them to reschedule at another testing center, my exam would be canceled.

I called to reschedule and was told my options where Austin or Dallas TX or Kansas City Kansas.  I live in San Antonio TX which has a population of about 1.5 million.

I have searched Google and cannot find any testing centers.  Google used to turn up 5 or 6 in San Antonio and now nothing.

Is my only option trully to drive several hours to another city to take each of my cert. exams?

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

After looking through Prometric they did not have anything in San Antonio TX but had 38 test sites. I am not familiar with Texas so I am not sure if they are close or not, but you can do a search and see what would be the closest option.

http://www.register.prometric.com/Index.asp?tcl=1

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the area might know more.

Hope this helps
    Eric
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

After looking through Prometric they did not have anything in San Antonio TX but had 38 test sites. I am not familiar with Texas so I am not sure if they are close or not, but you can do a search and see what would be the closest option.

http://www.register.prometric.com/Index.asp?tcl=1

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the area might know more.

Hope this helps
    Eric
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Thank you for the information.  I neglected to say that I have already done that as well.  Perhaps my question is really more of a statement now that I am over the shock of finding that  the closest testing center is Austin, TX which on the map looks like about a 1.5 hour drive, however when you factor in the added time of approximately 30 minutes getting out of S.A. due to high traffic and in rush hour you can plan on an extra 60 minutes in and out.  Also factor in the terribly archaic freeway system in Austin and you have to add an extra 30 to 45 minutes to get into downtown no matter what time of day it is.  It's actually about 2.5 hours each way if you are going any where near Austin's downtown and include 3 hours testing time and that is a full day out of work (vacation day used) to go take a $125.00 exam, and fuel on top of it.

I have a minimum of 5 tests left for my MCSE, so I will have to repeat this 5 times minimum.  That is one week of vacation days that I would prefer to use on a beach in Cozumel or Daytona.

The more I think about this the more I am getting a sour taste.  How could Microsoft let this happen and not provide alternatives?  Basically I have to take the financial hardship this creates for me and like it or find a new focus for my IT career.

I am very disappointed, because the hardship is great enough for me that I really don't have the liberty to choose the former of the two.

Miffed in S.A.,

Mitch Kraemer
    MCP
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:54 PM
  • That is disappointing. I retrived the info Eric (and you) found on Prometric and it is correct. That seems rather odd to me. Here in Jacksonville, Florida, there are close to a dozen exam sites.

To Microsoft defense, I don't believe it is there issue. Center choose to be Prometric exam centers. This is not up to Microsoft or Prometric.

On a side not, I would definitely skip Daytona and Cozumel for that matter and consider Sanibel Island!
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:24 PM
  • I Googled Sanibel Island and it looks great.  With all the money I will save from not taking my cert. exams I may check it.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:30 PM
  • In my city we have only one Prometric testing center, and this Prometric center is one of two or three in the whole country :/
    This is a bit dissapointing ha?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:11 PM