none
activation issues RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    this is the issue i have
    user has windows xp pro installed and has been working with the OS for 2 years while activated, today she logs in and the error message pops up stating that check for your username and password are typed in correctly, but after a bit of investigation there is nothing wrong with the domain/user/password or anything network related, so i log in as the local admin and this message pops up : youre 30 day activation period is finished and you have to reactivate again !!!!!
    i try to reactivate over the phone i get the new activation key and it comes back with the message : incorrect key , i callup microsoft they tell me your key is invalid, i tell them how come i have been using this for 2 years activated and they have no idea, they gave me a new product key followed by a new activation id and still the message comes up as incorrect activation id.
    i have no idea whats going on , what am i supposed to do ?
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:43 AM

Answers

• Nodeend,

This is a custom generated reply.  We are sorry about how you feel as we make every attempt to provide each customer one on one service for providing resolutions. First please do not use suggestive language as our forums are viewed globally by all ages of customers. Certain language may offend others. Thank you for cooperating. 

Next we need ALL customers to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide their results.  This information along with any errors codes, messaging or any 
    peculiar events will allow our team to analyze what you are experiencing so we can troubleshoot and work towards a resolution for you.  Nodeend please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with results. 

Also we may have been able to prevent you from spending 6 hours on the phone. It is really hard to assertain what you are experiencing if we do not have further information. Also you mentioned there was a bug??? Please identify what the bug is so I may work this issue from my end and work with our developers. This would be beneficial for you as well as countless others using Microsoft Windows. Again sorry how you feel. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:28 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:28 PM

All replies

• Nodeend,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  You may need to try booting your computer into safe mode with networking to accomplish this. This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Step 2: Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled? Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Rick, MS

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:27 PM
  • i need a proper human being to answer my question not a custom generated reply !
    microsoft always sucks, still sucks, would suck as well !
    thats why i never changed to vista, and im becoming an apple user!!!
    today i spent 6 hours solving this problem with microsoft support, finally they realised its a bug :) how cool is that !
    by the way im not a simple user using microsoft products and services , i have been using and supporting their servers and also clients for several years now, but time has come ! apple is chosen !
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Nodeend,

This is a custom generated reply.  We are sorry about how you feel as we make every attempt to provide each customer one on one service for providing resolutions. First please do not use suggestive language as our forums are viewed globally by all ages of customers. Certain language may offend others. Thank you for cooperating. 

Next we need ALL customers to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide their results.  This information along with any errors codes, messaging or any 
    peculiar events will allow our team to analyze what you are experiencing so we can troubleshoot and work towards a resolution for you.  Nodeend please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with results. 

Also we may have been able to prevent you from spending 6 hours on the phone. It is really hard to assertain what you are experiencing if we do not have further information. Also you mentioned there was a bug??? Please identify what the bug is so I may work this issue from my end and work with our developers. This would be beneficial for you as well as countless others using Microsoft Windows. Again sorry how you feel. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:28 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:28 PM