none
Unauthorized change to windows - Cant activate

Question

• Hey everyone,

I am in a little predicament. My computer told me that an unauthorized change was made to windows. I looked up on these forums and found a solution that seemed somewhat promising. It was to restore to a previous System Restore point. After the restart however, a windows activation dialogue box appears. It asks me enter the product key, and here is where my problem starts. I have a laptop, and the product key is on the bottom, but it is illegible. (the laptop is over 3 years old now). Now I cant do anything. When I press cancel on the dialogue box or click the x, it just logs me out.

The only reason I can post this is because there is a button that says "Go online to validate your software is genuine".  Windows + R doesnt work so I cant get cmd to work, nor does Ctrl+Alt+Delete nor Ctrl+Shift+Esc. The online validation doesnt work with firefox, which I am using wight now, it just hangs on this:

"Windows validation in process

This may take a few minutes, do not navigate away from this page."

(Sorry cant seem to change the format.)

I know that IE works for the validation since that is what I originally used when the initial box came up.

Also, my computer was running fine since I last reinstalled windows in January. Although, I did recently install Netbeans and downloaded a few Steam games. I doubt that it is the steam games since i didn't even play them yet.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:54 PM

Answers

• "Generic Username" wrote in message news:c45253ef-14b3-4942-84cc-4e7368306a00...

Hey everyone,

I am in a little predicament. My computer told me that an unauthorized change was made to windows. I looked up on these forums and found a solution that seemed somewhat promising. It was to restore to a previous System Restore point. After the restart however, a windows activation dialogue box appears. It asks me enter the product key, and here is where my problem starts. I have a laptop, and the product key is on the bottom, but it is illegible. (the laptop is over 3 years old now). Now I cant do anything. When I press cancel on the dialogue box or click the x, it just logs me out.

The only reason I can post this is because there is a button that says "Go online to validate your software is genuine".  Windows + R doesnt work so I cant get cmd to work, nor does Ctrl+Alt+Delete nor Ctrl+Shift+Esc. The online validation doesnt work with firefox, which I am using wight now, it just hangs on this:

I know that IE works for the validation since that is what I originally used when the initial box came up.

Also, my computer was running fine since I last reinstalled windows in January. Although, I did recently install Netbeans and downloaded a few Steam games. I doubt that it is the steam games since i didn't even play them yet.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Also....

Please see the advice in the Note to Avast users post here....

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/E2F066B3-2517-41BC-8FAD-4C036F2F4AC8

You should also scan your system using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (www.malwarebytes.org - do NOT enable the resident scanner when you install it)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:21 PM

All replies

• "Generic Username" wrote in message news:c45253ef-14b3-4942-84cc-4e7368306a00...

Hey everyone,

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Also....

Please see the advice in the Note to Avast users post here....

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/E2F066B3-2517-41BC-8FAD-4C036F2F4AC8

You should also scan your system using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (www.malwarebytes.org - do NOT enable the resident scanner when you install it)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:21 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:09 PM