none
Trying to restore a computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new computer that I loaded an evaluation copy of Windows Home Server.  I am now trying to restore this computer to its original programs.  When I install the restore disk the computer goes by it as if it does not exist and continues starting Windows Home Server.

I have made sure that the cd/dvd is the first startup device in the bios and I have also manualy told it to start from the cd/dcvd drive.  In all cases, it starts up as if the dvd is not installed.  itried the dvd in another computer and it works fine.

Deos anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:39 PM

Answers

• I only have one cd/dvd drive in my system.

I set it to boot from it first, I also tried to boot manualy from the cd/dvd, this is an option when the system first starts up.

Thanks for your response
    An inability to boot from your DVD drive when you obviously used to be able to (you installed Windows Home Server using the same drive, I presume?) indicates some sort of problem with your PC. 

So what exactly is your goal, at the end of the day? To have this computer running the original OS (Vista)? Or to have it running Windows Home Server? In either case, you first have to solve the inability to boot from the DVD drive; for that your best course of action will be to consult with your computer manufacturer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:39 PM

All replies

• If I understand correctly, you're trying to use the "Home Computer Restore CD" to restore a computer that you've installed a trial version of Windows Home Server on to it's pre-Windows Home Server state? The "Home Computer Restore CD" is intended only to restore a backup that Windows Home Server has taken of a home computer. It's not intended for restoring a "trial" home server to it's original configuration/operating system.

If you have a disk supplied by the computer manufacturer, you can use that to return the computer to factory state. Otherwise, you will have to reinstall the operating system and programs you want on the computer. Any data that was on the computer before you installed Windows Home Server is lost, I'm afraid; as you agreed to when you installed Windows Home Server, setup formats all drives on installation.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Just to clarify.

Purchased a computer with Windows Vista
    Installed Windows Home Server eval copy
    Want to restore with manufactures restore disks

Insert disks
    restart computer
    disks are not seen
    system continues to home server startup

Wondering why the disks are not seen
    checked bios for cd/dvd first startup
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Ah. Assuming you don't mind losing everything, first try connecting the system disk to another computer, and using diskpart to wipe out the partition table, then try another restore. 

If that doesn't work, contact the manufacturer. They are the only ones that can help you with getting your system restore disks to boot.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Is the boot sequence in Bios set properly to boot from that drive? You wrote this, but do you have multiple CD drives? Or is it a DVD while you have only used a CD drive?
    Can you boot with that disk in another PC? (And with the WHS DVD on that machine?)
    Did you change the port, to which the drive is attached?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Thanks for the info

The reason I am going to restore is, I cannot get my password to work.  Is there a better way?  Reload Windows Home Server?

I will try what you suggested, not sure how to hook it to another system because i do not have another SATA system.  Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:00 PM

I set it to boot from it first, I also tried to boot manualy from the cd/dvd, this is an option when the system first starts up.

Thanks for your response
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:02 PM

• The reason I am going to restore is, I cannot get my password to work.  Is there a better way?  Reload Windows Home Server?

Which password in which context do you mean?
    The WHS password or the client password?
    If the first one, does it work if you use Remote Desktop or local login to your server with user account Administrator and the password for the console?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:37 AM

Thanks for your response
    An inability to boot from your DVD drive when you obviously used to be able to (you installed Windows Home Server using the same drive, I presume?) indicates some sort of problem with your PC. 

So what exactly is your goal, at the end of the day? To have this computer running the original OS (Vista)? Or to have it running Windows Home Server? In either case, you first have to solve the inability to boot from the DVD drive; for that your best course of action will be to consult with your computer manufacturer.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Thanks for the infor.  I did call the manufacturer once and they gave me the steps to restore, which obviously did not work.  I will try them again and press a lttle harder.

Thanks again
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:19 PM
  • To be honest, it sounds like you have some sort of hardware problem. It coupld be as simple as a loose cable, or it could be something more serious. In any case, pressing the manufacturer for a solution is the right course of action, assuming this PC is still under warranty.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:07 PM