none
Should i start with 2003 or 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I'm interesting in formalising my knowledge by attempting some of the exams. I have approx 5+ years expenrience in working with Windows Servers but almost 80% of it on 2003 servers. I have work quite a lot on Domain Controllers, Exchange, File and Print's, AD etc and want to know if i should start by doing 2003 first and then 2008 or if going straight to 2008 would be managable/recommended?

Thanks for your advice

Monday, July 5, 2010 12:46 PM

Answers

• Hi CraMey,

As per my friends suggestion , either you can go for MCITP : Server Administrator or Enterprise Administrator certification.

There are three papers in server Administrator.....

70-640 - Active Directory, a good exam to start with, nice and easy to study.

70-642 - Network Infrastructure.

70-646 - Pro exam. Study (Server Administrator)

MCITP:Server Administrator certification done

70-643 - Applications. Middle-to-hard, depending on your experience. Study up, and no worries.

70-680 - Windows 7. Client exam. Get a copy installed, play with it, break it, reinstall it, break it some more. The best way to learn.

70-647 - Pro exam. Study (Enterprise Administrator)

MCITP:Enterprise Administrator certification  done

For further information , please click on the below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx

All companies have started migrating to server 2008 . so i would sincerely suggest you to go for 2008 certification because companies prefer professionals who are skilled on the latest technology,i.e 2008.

Once you are done with the above certifications , you can go for Exchange Server 2008. To achieve certification , you need to pass the below exams....

MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator

Exam 70-236

Exam 70-237

Exam 70-238

Please revert if you need any clarification....

All the best for your future....

Regards,

Tech_Scorpio

Monday, July 5, 2010 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hello CraMey,

You know these certifications will sooner or later expire if you do not upgrade your skills to newer technologies and products.

So I believe it is better to start with Windows Server 2008. It may be somehow difficult if you do not know what is new. But the basics will be same with 2003 where you are experienced.

SQL Server and T-SQL Tutorials
    Windows 7 Tips and Tricks
    Our true mentor in life is science
    Monday, July 5, 2010 1:00 PM
  • This vastly depends on your current job role. If you are focused on server infrastructure rather than messaging (you wrote about Exchange) then go MCITP Enterprise Admin path in regards to Windows Server 2008:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

If you intend to be more focused on messaging then Exchange 2007/2010 paths are the right choice.

Monday, July 5, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Hi CraMey,

As per my friends suggestion , either you can go for MCITP : Server Administrator or Enterprise Administrator certification.

70-643 - Applications. Middle-to-hard, depending on your experience. Study up, and no worries.

70-680 - Windows 7. Client exam. Get a copy installed, play with it, break it, reinstall it, break it some more. The best way to learn.

All companies have started migrating to server 2008 . so i would sincerely suggest you to go for 2008 certification because companies prefer professionals who are skilled on the latest technology,i.e 2008.

Once you are done with the above certifications , you can go for Exchange Server 2008. To achieve certification , you need to pass the below exams....

Exam 70-236

Exam 70-237

Exam 70-238

Regards,

Tech_Scorpio

Monday, July 5, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Additionally, much of what you learn about Server 2008 is backwards compatible to Server 2003.  Best recommendation - stay relevant.  Learning Server 2003 might be profitable for the short term, but given that many companies are now upgrading to Win7/Server 2008, learning what is most current is the best recommendation....i.e. learn Server 2008 and work towards the MCITP Enterprise Administrator designation.
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:05 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Guys for taking the time to respond. Really appreciate it. It is valuable information to me as someone who intend to study and get myself qualified...specially to get it from people who know how hard which exam is
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:28 AM
  • Hi CraMey,

Exam 70-236

Exam 70-237

Exam 70-238

Regards,

Tech_Scorpio

Thank you for taking the time to type this.

It helps alot if someone can guide me as to which exam to try first and them move on. So it is only 3 exams to get the Server Administrator and then another 3 to get Enterprise Admin - right?

I work on exchange also at the moment and enjoys it so doing the Messaging Administrator cause would be a interested of mine

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:31 AM
  • This vastly depends on your current job role. If you are focused on server infrastructure rather than messaging (you wrote about Exchange) then go MCITP Enterprise Admin path in regards to Windows Server 2008:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

If you intend to be more focused on messaging then Exchange 2007/2010 paths are the right choice.

I dont quite understand server infrastructure vs messaging like you explained it?

Shouldn't you do the one in any case to get to Messaging? or maybe to understand it better?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Hi CraMey,

Since you are working on Messaging platform at the movement , then you can go for

Exam 70-236

Exam 70-237

Exam 70-238

Anyways you have prior knowledge on messaging so therefore go for the above certification which will give you more knowledge and value for your resume.

After that you can go for MCITP : Server Administrator or Enterprise Administrator certification.

Regards,

Tech_Scorpio

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Hi tech_Scorpio

I'm working on Windows Servers also, including File & Prints, AD, DNS and DHCP. I would therefore want to do my Server Admin and Ent Admin also.

In which order would you reccomend them

640, 642 and 646 for Server Admin

643, 680 and 647 for Ent Admin and then

236, 237 and 238 for Exchange  or is there a specific reason why you want me to start with Exchange?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Quite honestly, there's no need to do BOTH Server Admin and Enterprise Admin.  Just do Enterprise Admin.  As to the order, I'd suggest 680, then 640, 642, 643 and 647.
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:44 PM
    Answerer
  •  If you have not taken any of the 2003 exams then my advice is to go right into 2008. And a good idea would be to take one exam that deals with migrating 2003 to 2008 (if there is one available) because that's what will be coming down next time your customer/company buys new hardware most likely. Or if you feel so comfortable about passing all the 2003 exams take them and maybe take an all in one upgrade exam if they offer it.

It would look better to have both tracks on the resume no doubt.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Hi CraMey,

As Charles suggested you can go for 680 first ,then 640, 642, 643 and 647 because 680 focuses completely on desktop i.e Windows 7.

Remaining papers they completely focuses on server side i.e installation , AD , Forest migration.....etc.

Regards,

Tech_Scorpio

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Guys

Would doing the E-learning courses and studying the books be enough to pass the exams or do i need to enroll at a training instutution for the courses also?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:54 AM
  • HI CraMey,

Just go through the books prescribed and released by Microsoft which is sufficient enough to pass the exam.

And make sure you practice all the exercises and examples which is there in the book. If you have a PC @ home , then please install server 2008 and try to make best use of it. Do all R n D on the server so that you can learn all the concepts.

Kindle revert if you need any clarifications....

Regards,

Tech_Scorpio

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Thank you Tech_Scorpio
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:24 AM
  • Ok, i will start with this one and get me the book

Let me know if you guys know of any other material or questions that is good to work through otherwise i will just concentrate on the book once i have it

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-680&locale=en-us#tab3

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:58 AM