none
Can't read hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'm trying to get files off of a hard drive that was in a WHS v.1 box.  I have the drive hooked up to a Windows 7 box with an external SATA - USB adapter.  Every file I try to open gives me an error message. For pdf's the error is "Could not open file. File not found". For word the error is, "Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt..". For Outlook messages the error is, "The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, ...".  The WHS v.1 box had Drive Extender and Duplication on for these files but the other hard drive is toast, so it a good thing I had Duplication enabled...that is if all the files aren't corrupted!
    Thanks for any help.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:09 AM

All replies

• Please see this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm able to open the files in the DE folder however that folder does not contain all the files, only about half of them.  I can see all the files that are supposed to be there viewing directly in the D:\shares but they are not all present in the DE folder.

The other hard drive that was used in the system cannot be read by any computer.

Is there a way to retrieve all the data with this one drive? That is, without sending the bad drive away for expensive data recovery!

Thank you

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:26 PM
  • From what you say, you didn't have duplication turned on for all of your folders. (Possibly you didn't have it turned on at all.) That's why you don't see all the files under the DE folder.

As for recovering data from the dead drive, if it were recognized at all, you might be able to use some sort of data recovery software yourself to see if anything could be retrieved. Since that seems not to be the case, your only recourse is to send the drive out for data recovery. This is, as you note, pretty expensive, and results aren't guaranteed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:13 PM