120 Day Trail CD Installation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I received a copy of the 120 day trial cd WHS.  I am installing it on an older Gateway 930 Server that meets the minimun requirements for WHS. (mind you that I did successful install the demo of Server 2008).  I installed a 160GB IDE drive to hold the server files and have 3 34GB SCSI HDD's.  THe system boots to Press Enter to RUN CD.  Then I get the white bar that has Windows is loading files....  After that I get the running green bar (like Vista prior to getting into the program) with the Microsoft Copyright underneath.  Once that disappears, I just get a blank screen and the cd light stays off.

Update:

I took the HDD and attached it to another PC, loaded WHS succesfully.  Reinstalled the drive into the server, it gets to a point where it tries to load then reboots back to the beginning and continues this cycle.

Any suggestions?

• Edited by bfry Thursday, October 23, 2008 7:56 PM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:51 PM

Answers

• bfry said:

That is what I did do.  I installed WHS on PATA drive attached to another PC and it worked fine.  Then I re-installed the drive back into the server (SCSI HDD'sdisconnected) except for a Sony Tape Drive, runs to the green scrolling bar with the MS Logo below, then the screen goes blank.

When you installed WHS using the other PC, you installed drivers that were specific to that hardware configuration. When you moved the drive back to the computer you want to use as your home server, some essential driver (for the new hardware) was missing.

Question about the Gateway server: how is the DVD-ROM drive (not CD-ROM) connected? PATA? SCSI?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:16 PM

All replies

• bfry said:

I received a copy of the 120 day trial cd WHS.  I am installing it on an older Gateway 930 Server that meets the minimun requirements for WHS. (mind you that I did successful install the demo of Server 2008).  I installed a 160GB IDE drive to hold the server files and have 3 34GB SCSI HDD's.  THe system boots to Press Enter to RUN CD.  Then I get the white bar that has Windows is loading files....  After that I get the running green bar (like Vista prior to getting into the program) with the Microsoft Copyright underneath.  Once that disappears, I just get a blank screen and the cd light stays off.

Update:

I took the HDD and attached it to another PC, loaded WHS succesfully.  Reinstalled the drive into the server, it gets to a point where it tries to load then reboots back to the beginning and continues this cycle.

Any suggestions?

You said you took the drive to another PC and it worked.  Did you hook up the SCSI drives on the other machine as well?  If not, you might try installing WHS on the PATA drive, but keep the SCSI drives disconnected.  If that works, you can connect the SCSI drives after the OS installation is complete.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 1:39 AM
  •  
    That is what I did do.  I installed WHS on PATA drive attached to another PC and it worked fine.  Then I re-installed the drive back into the server (SCSI HDD'sdisconnected) except for a Sony Tape Drive, runs to the green scrolling bar with the MS Logo below, then the screen goes blank.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 9:35 PM
  • bfry said:

I would suggest try a bare minimum hardware install (meaning don't have anything hooked up that isn't necessary, including a tape drive).
    Friday, October 24, 2008 9:57 PM
  • I disconnected the SCSI Ribbons from the motherboard and the power from the devices.  Now the system just reboots itself with out the green running scroll bar.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:06 PM
  • Have you checked it's boot order? WHS will install itself on the first bootable drive it sees and there is no direct way to change this. You will need to ensure in the BIOS that the IDE drive is the first boot disk available.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:12 PM
  • bfry said:

When you installed WHS using the other PC, you installed drivers that were specific to that hardware configuration. When you moved the drive back to the computer you want to use as your home server, some essential driver (for the new hardware) was missing.

Question about the Gateway server: how is the DVD-ROM drive (not CD-ROM) connected? PATA? SCSI?

Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:16 PM
  •  
    The boot order is the DVD drive (PATA), then the IDE HDD.  When the SCSI's were connected, they were 2-4.  I know that different drivers would have been installed from the other PC, I has trying to see if I could get the system to boot.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:44 PM
  • bfry said:

The boot order is the DVD drive (PATA), then the IDE HDD.  When the SCSI's were connected, they were 2-4.  I know that different drivers would have been installed from the other PC, I has trying to see if I could get the system to boot.

I'm getting confused. :)

To clarify: did you run the installation from the WHS DVD on the older Gateway 930 server?  If so, what hardware did you have connected at that time?  What were the results?  Installing WHS successfully on a another PC doesn't help any (other than to prove that the hardware used in that configuration works).

Sunday, October 26, 2008 3:05 PM
  • No, I could not get WHS to load.  Meaning with the DVD in, the system would boot to the drive to the point where the scrolling green bar with the Microsoft Logo.  Then the screen would go blank and nothing.  I tried that with all the drives connected, the all but the IDE disconnected.  Same results. I was successful in installing the Demo of Server 2008.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 1:56 PM
  • bfry said:

No, I could not get WHS to load.  Meaning with the DVD in, the system would boot to the drive to the point where the scrolling green bar with the Microsoft Logo.  Then the screen would go blank and nothing.  I tried that with all the drives connected, the all but the IDE disconnected.  Same results. I was successful in installing the Demo of Server 2008.

Please see Ken Warren's reply. You are more than likely missing the drivers for your storage controller which is why the drive/drives work(s) on another machine and why you can install Server 2008 but not Windows Home Server.  The drivers are inbox for Server 2008 because it is a later OS. The storage controller drivers are probably not inbox for Server 2003/Windows Home Server.

You will need to determine the chipset for your storage controller and/or motherboard and provide them during setup.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Ok, then my question is, I have Windows Server 2003 which is what WHS is supposed to be based off of.  Why will that install with no problems and WHS will not? Yesterday, the cd loaded up to the point that I got the mouse cursor, but that is it.  Right now, Server 2003 is loading fine.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:01 PM
  • The first part of Windows Home Server setup uses the Windows Preinstallation Environment version 2.0 (WinPE 2.0), which appears to be having a problem with your hardware. That can be a difficult problem to overcome and (honestly) I can't recommend you try unless it's for the challenge, because you'll have to overcome the same issues if you ever experience a system disk failure or OS corruption that requires a server reinstallation.

If you want to try, though, it may be possible to install by taking your server's system disk and connecting it to another computer. (Don't forget to disconnect all other disks.) You should also prepare a floppy disk with drivers for your SCSI controller, becuase you'll need it later. Now boot that computer from the DVD and go through the first stage of installation, the graphical stage. When your machine reboots, shut down and swap back to your server. Go ahead and boot; with a little luck you'll go straight to text mode setup for Windows Server 2003. If you do, watch for the "Press F6" prompt at the beginning of setup and do so, then supply your drivers on floppy.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:04 PM
  •  
    Ken,

I tried your suggestion, but this is what I got back:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer.  Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.  Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and the restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789AA98, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Any other suggestions?

Friday, October 31, 2008 10:27 PM
  • bfry said:

Ken,

I tried your suggestion, but this is what I got back:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer.  Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.  Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and the restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789AA98, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Any other suggestions?

A 7B stop is hardware related.  It means it can't find your hard drive.  Exactly what type of drive are you installing it on (PATA, SATA, SCSI)?  Is it the only drive connected during installation?  Are you manually installing drivers for it during WinPE (the first part of the installation)?  If so, how?  Please be as specific as possible.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Well, it was a thought. Probably you have some piece of hardware that can't be initialized without a driver, and you don't have the right driver. What that is, or what the right driver is, I can't tell you.

How wedded are you to the use of this specific hardware for your server? Personally, I'd be looking for different hardware about now. :)

Saturday, November 1, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Sorry for taking so long to get back.

I do not want to spend a whole lot of money on a new server.  This was given to me by my sister from her business as they upgraded.

I can successfully install  Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2003 SBS and Windows 2008 Server Beta on the server so I do not think it is a driver.  All I know is that WHS will not install beyond the Microsoft  Scrolling Green Bar.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  
    Does WHS Support IDE Hard Drives?  I am thinking that this is the issues.  Strange though, I can install Windows 7 Beta on this machine.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Yes, IDE drives are supported out of the box. There is a generic "lowest common denominator" driver for IDE included in Windows Server 2003.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:42 PM