MS support for WHS2011? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a WHS2011 from old hardware around the house.  Really enjoy the project.  But...on some of the forums there are rumors that MS is going to stop supporting "Vail."  Any truth to these rumors?  If so, where'd you hear it from?  I'd rather not adopt an OS that is going to pulled as soon as I do.
    • Moved by Ken Warren Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:19 PM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:59 PM

Answers

• Microsoft doesn't provide free end user support for any OEM/system builder SKU, and never has. This includes all self-installed Windows Home Server, as the only "retail" packaging is a server from an OEM. (What you buy from e.g. Newegg is system builder media, not intended for sale to end users.)

Support options for OEM and system builder products in general include:

• Your OEM's tech support line.
    • Your system builder, if someone else built the server for you and sold it to you.
    • Calling Microsoft technical support and using a "free incident" if you have them as part of a partner or other agreement with Microsoft.
    • Calling Microsoft technical support and paying (through the nose) for support.
    • Online fora and other online resources.

As for the rumor you've heard, I'd probably hear direct from the horse's mouth before the rumor-mongers, and I've heard nothing. So the rumors are, at this time, baseless and should be ignored. In addition, Microsoft has invested significant resources into the other two SKUs that are built on the same code base as Windows Home Server, and I doubt they'll abandon those without a fight. So again, baseless rumors are baseless.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:17 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:16 PM

All replies

• Microsoft doesn't provide free end user support for any OEM/system builder SKU, and never has. This includes all self-installed Windows Home Server, as the only "retail" packaging is a server from an OEM. (What you buy from e.g. Newegg is system builder media, not intended for sale to end users.)

Support options for OEM and system builder products in general include:

• Your OEM's tech support line.
    • Your system builder, if someone else built the server for you and sold it to you.
    • Calling Microsoft technical support and using a "free incident" if you have them as part of a partner or other agreement with Microsoft.
    • Calling Microsoft technical support and paying (through the nose) for support.
    • Online fora and other online resources.

As for the rumor you've heard, I'd probably hear direct from the horse's mouth before the rumor-mongers, and I've heard nothing. So the rumors are, at this time, baseless and should be ignored. In addition, Microsoft has invested significant resources into the other two SKUs that are built on the same code base as Windows Home Server, and I doubt they'll abandon those without a fight. So again, baseless rumors are baseless.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:17 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Thanks.  Right now, I'm loving the new build.  Hope it stays alive.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:15 AM