One Care key code RRS feed

• Question

• Hello...I purchased a laptop last year in July/08, along with that I also recieved window's live one care, being as illiterate as I am when it comes to pc's I didn't realize that I first had a trial and then when that was done I was to subscribe using my product key. Well I never subscribed to the full version thinking that I had to purchase it. So, I have just recently purchased 2 laptops for my kids and again the laptops came with the one care subscription, it wasn't until I purchased those that I was told by the sales assoc. that I still would have the subscription on mine. But I couldn't find it at the time so I used the kids disk and set things up, now I get a message that my subscription(trial) will end in 13 days so I go on and try to use the key that came with their disk and it tells me that the web id that i entered is assoc. with another subscription(error8059, I think it was)so I search for my disk, which I found, try this all over again seems to have went through tells me to save or print the page for records then all of sudden another message is telling me there is no service for this computer...blah, blah blah...and my one care page still says...Subscribe to stay connected and my pc is at risk???????Can you please tell me whats goin on here? These disks are supposed to be good for use on up to 3 computers so what seems to be the problem?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:24 PM

Answers

• The problem is since up to three computers are permitted on a subscription, once the product key is entered and the subscription is activated your account is identified by your Live ID and not the product key. Because this is different from the way we are all accustomed to using product keys to activate software it has caused much confusion and frustration when activating One Care. On your computer, open One Care, select "Subscribe" and when asked for a Live ID enter the Live ID and password used to activate One Care on the other two computers. This will activate all three computers to one subscription. I would then contact support to see if another account was created when you entered the product key that came with your computer. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:55 PM