"genuine" disadvantage RRS feed

• Question

• You know I used to trust M* and their products for years. But after this diaster TUESDAY I never will again. All my products are valid and to subject customers to this just cries for a class action lawsuit and going to a non-M* system. The main trouble is M* is so big that it will take a few years for them to even realize that maybe they have a big problem. But so long to them for all their faulty software and other problems caused by them and then expect us to pay them to fix their own created problems. I for one choose to think for myself and thanks M* but NO THANKS!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:48 PM

Answers

• THANKS CAREY,

Thought both url's were pretty funny! On the serious side I have already taken to ordering some linux things. At first I was just going to go to WALMART and get a cheap computer with the linux already installed. But I think I want to learn it good so am going for the long haul. Again thank you for being open-minded and according to some of the news services there seem to be more users affected than M* may realize.I know M* probably figured they would lose some but I think the after effects later will hurt them more than they think. And right now I have to say WHO would EVER trust M* again. Think to the next rollout and see how many are eager to get it.Take care,

PATRICK

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:57 PM

All replies

• Please take a moment to read the following:

Microsoft Provides Additional Clarity About Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications:  http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/jun06/06-08wgaqa.mspx

Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:05 PM
  • Patrickone:

If you would like assistance, please do the following:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials that came with the computer or the XP that you purchased for a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:44 PM
  • CAREY

I had already done my research on the subject which also looked at your answer and many other things. Your script answer is the standard M* answer and if you care to re-read my comment you will see the damage is done already. Putting up with M* for all these years I ask myself why I did it and NO more. I have valid software and don't have any problems with it  BUT because M* is forcing me to use that I will never again. I turned off updates and also very easily got rid of all the *** that M* was trying to tell me was "good" for me. WHEN a person can not decide what they only want on their computer and should let a known problem maker like M* decide for them THEN it's time to leave!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:16 PM
  • DAN:

Thank you but I really don't have any problems and the answer you gave is exactly why I am getting away from M*.

And by the way I think it's funny that now M* is giving a limited pass to commercial customers  so the downloads won't goof up the computers for awhile.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:21 PM
  • If you ever realy trusted MicroSoft to do anything other than maximize revenue and look to extend their monopoly position, then you have been a bit too trusting.

Having said that, I have been a DOS/Windows user since 1992. I have paid for DOS 5.0, 6.x, Win3.1, NT 3.51 and NT 4.0 and XP Pro as well as Office and other products. But this sort of treatment of customers, most of whom just "borrowed" a handy disk when forced to reinstall and have machines that were sold with license fees paid to MicroSoft, but now are not "genuine".

It is time to get serious about transitioning to OpenSource software. I have been putting it off for several years, but... I think it is Linux time. 

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:10 AM
  • PHILIP:

I enjoyed your comments and I agree 100%. Guess it was not so much trusting as it was the only thing out there at the time. But the final straw and wakeup call was this (may I call it DIASTER TUESDAY?) and the fact that they would release a BETA as critical! And as for losing the lawsuit and then throwing many computers in neverland because I think they thought they were such a big company and when they lost just saying(well, let's just change a few things in our updates to be legal and never mind that many customers will have problems) REALLY shows how much they care.

YES, I too am working toward a new open source and I wish you much luck!

PATRICK

Friday, June 16, 2006 2:42 PM
  • Friday, June 16, 2006 8:21 PM
  • THANKS CAREY,

Thought both url's were pretty funny! On the serious side I have already taken to ordering some linux things. At first I was just going to go to WALMART and get a cheap computer with the linux already installed. But I think I want to learn it good so am going for the long haul. Again thank you for being open-minded and according to some of the news services there seem to be more users affected than M* may realize.I know M* probably figured they would lose some but I think the after effects later will hurt them more than they think. And right now I have to say WHO would EVER trust M* again. Think to the next rollout and see how many are eager to get it.Take care,

PATRICK

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:57 PM
  • Thanks for writing all of that, all of you.

It just proves what kind of place Microsoft is, it wakes me up, to see what is possible, in the possible real world.

You have software you need to protect, yet you use a system that causes more problems than it solves. It creates a system were people can find a way to continue, beyond the block you create, thinking you can pinch every penny out of every dollar spent on bought software.

Look at the facts, if every software is so different, coded, its highly unlikely to have more than one the same.

You create to many loopholes for them to sell fake software, have nothing to detect.

You create hurt people trying to make this a hobby, it can't possibly be a hobby, software is terminated for testing on a different computer, or testing parts. 

You overlook something that can be done, or just out of reach, unaware of.

The harmless people get hurt, the people trying to get away with something will continue to get away something, they won't stop until its impossible.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 1:46 AM