Mo Bo with 4 Ethernet ports. How useful would that be as a WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
       I been look for a Good Mother Board for my WHS project and can across several boards with multi Ethernet ports. Was wondering if there would be some advantage to having more the one port on a WHS build. And how could I use it. The card is a Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 Price $59.99 with 10 SATA ports one of my other points of interest for a WHS Mobo.

I notice several of The Gigabyte board have between 2 and 4 Ethernet ports built in, I guess they could be configured in the BIOS to work together. But not shore there wold be an advantage to set them up that way. Any Positive Advise would help

Thank you
    Tony {A.Ham}
    "Today is the First Day of The Rest of Your Life, becaus No matter How Far You Go There You R."
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:05 AM

Answers

• Multi-homing (two active network connections) isn't supported and is known to cause problems. "Teaming" would combine two or more of the network interfaces on your motherboard to appear to the OS as a single network card. In theory, it will work, but you need drivers that support that, and the entwork architecture to take advantage of it isn't something you will find in the home.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 12, 2010 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 11:19 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:43 PM

All replies

• There is no advantage to having a motherboard with more than one Ethernet Port for Windows Home Server.  Windows Home Server doesn't support 'advanced' networking options out of the box. 
    --
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Multi-homing (two active network connections) isn't supported and is known to cause problems. "Teaming" would combine two or more of the network interfaces on your motherboard to appear to the OS as a single network card. In theory, it will work, but you need drivers that support that, and the entwork architecture to take advantage of it isn't something you will find in the home.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 12, 2010 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 11:19 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Thank You
                   Both answer helped, I guess I had delusions that combined ports would help to stream video and music. But easy said then done, it take a lot more to hook up something like that at home with my available resources and capital.

Tony [A.Ham]
    "Today is the First Day of The Rest of Your Life, becaus No matter How Far You Go There You R."
    • Marked as answer by A.Ham Friday, February 12, 2010 11:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by A.Ham Friday, February 12, 2010 11:36 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:35 PM