Live Mesh Encryption? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Something I read in the description of peer to peer file sharing (without sharing with the Live Desktop) seemed to imply that this occurs without encryption, in the open, over the Internet. Did I completely misunderstand that or is that really the case?

I would hope that everything occurring over the Mesh is encrypted. Is that not true?

Also, are there any issues with NATs or Firewalls preventing connections? What protocols/ports does Mesh use?

Thanks!
    T
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi T,

I believe at least some of your questions are answered in our blog post about Authorization and Encryption, if you'd like to take a look.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:09 PM
  • So as I understand it all communications, whether p2p or peer to live desktop are encrypted and cannot be intercepted by a third party spying on the network. Is that correct?

Files stored on the live desktop are not encrypted, so in principle a Microsoft employee could access them. It actually would be nice if files on the live desktop were encrypted with a key held by the clients but not the server. But at least it sounds like the transfers are secure, which is obviously crucial.

Thanks
    T
    Friday, July 18, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Hi T,

You are correct.  The suggestion to have files on the Live Desktop encrypted has come up a couple of times.  Please feel free to add your vote for this feature to our Wish List sticky.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Hi

I added a request for files on the Live Desktop to be encrypted to the Microsoft Connect suggestions web page today.  If you want you can vote for it at: https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=435289

I think that the feature is a critical one to make Live Desktop more safe.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:50 AM