Questions about Upgrading hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am running WHS with 10 Hard drives.. 4 of which are 500GB drives..

I would like to remove these and replace with 1TB drives. I was going to install a PCI Sata card to add these extra drives and then migrate the data off the 500's using the removal tool.

My Question is .. would it matter if I after the fact removed the SATA card and plugged the 1TB drives into the onboard Sata Controller instead?

Essentially changing the the hard drive port with an active drive.

Anyone done that ?

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:22 PM

Answers

• Stacy,

There should be no reason why what you suggest wouldn't work. WHS keeps a record of each drive, and appears to cope just fine.

Even if the worst came to the worst, you could just go back to using the SATA card; however I've removed hard drives and then re-added them - when re-building a server - and the port/order hasn't affected the operation.

Colin

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Yes, that's fine. WHS will complain about a missing drive, but as long as you just shut down and re-attach the disk before changing anything, there should be no problems whatsoever.

Colin

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:14 PM

All replies

• Stacy,

There should be no reason why what you suggest wouldn't work. WHS keeps a record of each drive, and appears to cope just fine.

Even if the worst came to the worst, you could just go back to using the SATA card; however I've removed hard drives and then re-added them - when re-building a server - and the port/order hasn't affected the operation.

Colin

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Hey Colin,

Thank you for the response.. even with Sam Wood's Add in I still have a hard time determining what drive is what. If I was smarter I would have labeled them as I installed them. ( I will do that with these new drives)

That raises another query ..could a guy unplug one of the drive pool drives, boot it up and see which DISK WHS see's it as and then power down and hook it back up with out causing grief?

That way I could determine what drive is hooked where and be certain what I am unhooking.  I would like eventually replace all the rest of the drives with 1TB HDD's too.

Thanks Agian

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Yes, that's fine. WHS will complain about a missing drive, but as long as you just shut down and re-attach the disk before changing anything, there should be no problems whatsoever.

Colin

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:14 PM