none
Studying for certs - Virtual machine questions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm studying for 70-648.  I can't find specific answers to this question;  I need to run Server 2008 on a VM.  I don't have a machine that can run Hyper-V.  My host computer will be XP Pro.  Can I run Server 2008 on Virtual PC 2007?
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, Server 2008 should run in a Virtual PC 2007. Make sure, that you got SP1. Server 2008 standard is listet in the guest systems on the download link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=28C97D22-6EB8-4A09-A7F7-F6C7A1F000B5&displaylang=en

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hmm... the MS Press book is saying that for the practice exercises I need Windows Server 2008 R2.  And that's where I saw the requirement for Hyper-V.... on the download page for 2008 R2.  Seems strange that MS would require that people have a machine that can run Hyper-V.  Now I have big problems.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Ohh right. Server 2008 R2 is only available as 64bit. So you need a system that can set up a 64bit VM or a physical 64 bit capable system.

And if Hyper-V is also a part of the exam, then you need of course a system that supports it.

(But if you have a 64 bit capable system, you could try to install Server 2008 R2 on it. Even if you cannot start the Hyper-V services, you could play around with the Server e.g. AD and such stuff. But you need extra hardware for some more tests because you cannot use virtual clients to play around)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:46 PM
    Answerer
  • I hate to have to say this in a Microsoft forum, but you can use a third-party tool to run the guest operating system in 64 bits. Both VMWare and VirtualBox will be able to run Windows Server 2008 R2. Unfortunately, Virtual PC can only run 32 bit guest operating systems.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:32 AM
  • I hate to have to say this in a Microsoft forum, but you can use a third-party tool to run the guest operating system in 64 bits. Both VMWare and VirtualBox will be able to run Windows Server 2008 R2. Unfortunately, Virtual PC can only run 32 bit guest operating systems.

Is there a free version of VMware?
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:17 PM
  • The VMware player is available as free produkt. You can check it out here: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/player_pubs.html

But maybe you want to have a closer look at VirtualBox. I think that is the better solution. (VMware player is very limited because they want to sell their workstation produkt.)

And if you want to use the VMware Player: There are some nice tools around to create a VM yourself (One limitation is, that you can start existing VMs but do not create a new one.). http://www.easyvmx.com/ is such a website.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:33 PM
    Answerer
  • I downloaded and installed VirtualBox, and I like that much better than Virtual PC.  And it will support the guest OS's I need!  Thanks Alberto and Konrad.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:12 PM