How Report author and report viewer works in Excel services ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

To configure the Secure store for Excel services we are using ReportAuthor and ReportViewer AD groups in PS 2010.,

ReportAuthor for users who are creating Reports and other for viewers and my question here is

In my organization to add users in AD groups, must follow ticketing system which is bit hectic,

so can I use local group for ReportAuthors and ReportViewers on App server, I actually tried and no luck !!!

Can you suggest me some other way for this ??

Thanks,

Parag

Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Parag,

Just checked technet for you...  and it specifically references the groups as Active Directory groups.  AD is the way to go. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ee662106.aspx#PopulateADGroups 

To provide your users with the needed access to the Business Intelligence Center in PWA and the reports within, you must populate the Report Authors and Report Viewers Active Directory groups as follows:

• Report Authors group — Add the Active Directory accounts of users who will be creating reports using Excel.

• Report Viewers — Add the Active Directory accounts of PWA users who will be viewing reports in the Business Intelligence Center.

• External Report Viewers (optional) — If you have users who do not have a PWA account but require access to the Business Intelligence Center to view reports, add their Active Directory accounts to this group and follow the procedure for granting this group access to the Business Intelligence Center in Configure Business Intelligence Center access, below.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Parag, In a single or dual server environment, you might be able to set it up with local groups.  Another way forward might be to open the reports of all users by changing "domain users" for ReportViewers, though this would still leave you with the issue of ReportAuthors. 
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Hi Ban, I have Two tier arcitecture setup., and I tried with local group and secure store target application is not accepting the local group., so is AD group the way to do this??
    Friday, November 19, 2010 3:40 AM
  • Hi Parag,

Just checked technet for you...  and it specifically references the groups as Active Directory groups.  AD is the way to go. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ee662106.aspx#PopulateADGroups 

To provide your users with the needed access to the Business Intelligence Center in PWA and the reports within, you must populate the Report Authors and Report Viewers Active Directory groups as follows:

• Report Authors group — Add the Active Directory accounts of users who will be creating reports using Excel.

• Report Viewers — Add the Active Directory accounts of PWA users who will be viewing reports in the Business Intelligence Center.

• External Report Viewers (optional) — If you have users who do not have a PWA account but require access to the Business Intelligence Center to view reports, add their Active Directory accounts to this group and follow the procedure for granting this group access to the Business Intelligence Center in Configure Business Intelligence Center access, below.

Friday, November 19, 2010 10:55 AM