Problem with Win XP Pro key - appears as invalid. RRS feed

• Question

• I had a Dell Latitude D620 which was stolen but I had taken the hard disk out. (It was running Win XP Pro SP3)

I bought on eBay a Dell Latitude D630 with no hard disk. (I am guessing these are government or military surplus so they take out the HDD.)

I put the old D620 hard disk into the D630 and it started up and after some updating of drivers it seems to work correctly.

BUT when I go to Windows Update it does not accept the system as genuine.  MGADiag.exe also says the key is bad.

Both the stolen D620 and the D630 have COA's and I have the keys, service tags, etc. for both.  I have photos of both COA stickers.  I have tried changing the key (using msoobe.exe and/or KeyUpdateTool) but it rejects both keys as invalid as well as other keys I have tried. 

I have asked in the Dell forums and was told to ask MS.

So, how can I get the D630 installation to be accepted by WGA as good?

I do not know much about this but I imagine the service tag which is embedded in the BIOS can easily be checked and prove it is indeed a Dell Latitude D630 which was originally sold with Windows XP Pro installed.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6BKXT-M8JJ6-RPXGJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5nTiWPHCccmBwT7jn+WSWXJC39g=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-1464517-23909
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.xpn
    ID: {CC96449E-2B56-4AB2-9695-D2DCEDF745AD}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Saturday, September 7, 2013 4:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your current Key is for Windows XP Pro - using a Blocked Volume License Key.

For which version and edition of Windows are the two COA stickers??

The Service Tag is a Dell matter - logging into the Dell site and inputting the tag will tell you what the machine shipped with, but will not tell you the original COA Key.

You say you have the Key from the stolen machine? How did you retain it? Reading it from the sticker, or using a Key-reader program?

I assume that you read the Key for the 'new' one from the sticker?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, September 8, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Hi Noel, thanks for your interest.

>> Your current Key is for Windows XP Pro - using a Blocked Volume License Key.

Yes, I see that. It is not the key of the stolen D620 nor of the D630 so I guess it is not relevant now.

>> For which version and edition of Windows are the two COA stickers??

Both Win XP Pro.

>> The Service Tag is a Dell matter - logging into the Dell site and inputting the tag will tell you what the machine shipped with, but will not tell you the original COA Key.

Yes, I know. I was just wondering if someone at Dell or MS can remotely log into the machine and check and say "Yup, that's a machine which was legally sold with Win XP Pro and we'll help you change the Key-serial so MS accepts it as good again". But Dell tells me that all windows activation issues need to be resolved by MS. At any rate, I have the machine and the COA sticker so I am just trying to figure out how I can best prove this to MS so I can get help.

>> You say you have the Key from the stolen machine? How did you retain it? Reading it from the sticker, or using a Key-reader program?
    >> I assume that you read the Key for the 'new' one from the sticker?

Whenever I buy a computer I take some photos which help when I need the information whether it is when I am at another computer or when the computer is stolen.  I guess this is moot now as the old key for the stolen laptop is not relevant.  I guess what I need to do is get the D630 to accept the key on the COA sticker.  Both computers were Dells running XP Pro which is what the stickers were for

In summary: I have a Dell Latitude D630 with a COA sticker for HP Pro and I have a hard disk which was running Win XP Pro on a Dell Latitude D620. Everything is working correctly now on the D630 except that I cannot change the key to input the one on the COA sticker.  The problem is not even that the key does not validate as genuine, the problem is that I cannot change the key at all because the program says it is an invalid key. I cannot get the key on the sticker "into the computer disk".  I suppose once I can get the key changed then MS would accept it as genuine. 

I hope I am explaining it right.  

Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Try using the Windows XP Product Key Update Tool. (click on the Windows XP tab to access it)

Carey Frisch

Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:59 PM
  • from the OP's first post...

I have tried changing the key (using msoobe.exe and/or KeyUpdateTool) 

Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Your explanation is perfect :)

The only thing I can think of is that you are misreading a character in the Key - usually this is the case with 8/B and possibly Y/V or C/G.

Try variations and see what comes up.

Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:18 PM
  • The so called KeyUpdateTool is not a Microsoft product.  The official Microsoft Windows Product Key Update Tool is.  It will change the current Volume License to an OEM license.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:21 PM
  • The so called KeyUpdateTool is not a Microsoft product.  The official Microsoft Windows Product Key Update Tool is.  It will change the current Volume License to an OEM license.

Carey Frisch

The only KeyUpdateTool files I've sofar been able to find in a Google Search are all signed by MS - please explain!

Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Yes, the tools I have used to try to change the key are by MS.

I suppose I could be misreading a character but I have tried several times so I think it is unlikely.

Searching I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874 on how to change the product key

= = = [QUOTE]

Warning The steps in the article are effective only on Volume License media. If you try these steps on OEM media or on retail media, you will not change the product key. When you install Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, the media must match the product key. That is, the channel (MSDN, retail, OEM, Volume License, and so on), the SKU (Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, and so on), and the language (English, French, and so on) must match between the product key and the media. This is necessary so that you can successfully enter the product key. If the installation media does not match the product key, you receive the following error message: Product Key is invalid.
    [/QUOTE] = = =

So it may be the installation on the disk was done with different channel/media. I am guessing Dell Key is for Volume License.

So one solution would be to reinstall Win XP with the correct media (which I would have to procure as I do not have). This would mean many hours to reinstall everything and I will do it only as a last resort.

I am hoping there is some way to change the channel/media on the HDD installation without having to reinstall the OS. I have no idea how this works or how it is done.

Anybody know how this can be done?

When the D620 was stolen, about a year ago, I was messing with reinstalling everything (it had the infamous video chip replaced and it messed up the OS) and it may be that I used the wrong disk or something. I do not remember well as it was so long ago and only now have I got the D630 and tried the old hard disk in it.

Sunday, September 8, 2013 10:48 PM
  • The Windows Product Key Update tool can cope with changing Volume to either OEM or retail - or any other combination of those three.

It may be that the problem is with the  fact that it's an SP3 install. Some of the earlier Keys from RTM (and SP1?) aren't recognised by SP3 - in which case all you can do is try speaking to an operator, and see if they can help (possibly by providing a new Key)

You can try using your local phone number here - https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx -  when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you 

Sunday, September 8, 2013 11:42 PM
  • Are you sure the genuine product keys you have are for Windows XP Professional and not for Windows XP Home Edition?

Carey Frisch

Monday, September 9, 2013 3:01 AM
  • >> The Windows Product Key Update tool can cope with changing Volume to either OEM or retail - or any other combination of those three.
    >> It may be that the problem is with the  fact that it's an SP3 install. Some of the earlier Keys from RTM (and SP1?) aren't recognised by SP3 - in which case all you can do is try speaking to an operator, and see if they can help (possibly by providing a new Key)

hmmm... a new install is beginning to look not so bad after all. With all the advantages of a clean install but the pain of downloading a ton of updates and patches and all the software I had... I need to think about this.  I may still try talking to MS on the phone and explaining the situation.  In either case I will have to wait for a day when I have plenty of time and patience.

Thanks for your help Noel.

And Carey, yes, the label clearly says it is Windows XP Pro.

Monday, September 9, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Okay, I see the problem now.  Unfortunately, someone installed a counterfeit copy of  Windows XP Professional N version on your Dell PC.  See: Description of Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N

From your MGA Report: Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.xpn

Yes, you'll have to perform a clean install of Windows XP Professional at this point.

Carey Frisch

Monday, September 9, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Well spotted, Carey!

That does indeed explain the issue.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:45 AM