HP D530 CMT - Ethernet drivers for Broadcom BCM5782 chipset RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased a HP D530 CMT and I am expecting delivery in 2-3 days. On paper this seems well suited for a WHS system as it has six drive bays (3 external 5.25", 1 external 3.5" and 2 internal 3.5" drive bays) and supports both PATA and SATA. It also has a gigabit Ethernet interface and that is where my question comes from. It is a Broadcom BCM5782 chip and there are no Windows 2003 Server drivers on HP or Broadcom's website. Is anybody using a NIC or motherboard with this chip and if so what driver did you use?

Here are the specs for this system, which I purchased on ebay for $202 delivered (512MB RAM & 40GB HD). I will add 120 & 250 GB PATA drives, then migrate some data from a 250 GB drive that is in a Netgear SC101 and then that drive will go into to my WHS system also. So that will leave me with a reasonable amount of storage for testing purposes. Once I have installed WHS I will remove the CD drive so I can maximize my use of the PATA interfaces

Here are the specs for this system.

• 2.6 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor in PPGA478 (Socket N) package
    • PC2100, PC2700, or PC3200 DIMM support (4 memory sockets)
    • 48x Max CD-ROM drive
    • Dual IDE controllers w/UATA100 and serial ATA support
    • Hard drive fault prediction
    • 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 PS/2 ports
    • headphone output, microphone input, line input
    • 10/100/1000 Mbps network interface
    • Plug ’n Play compatible (with ESCD support)
    • Intelligent Manageability support
    • Energy Star compliant
    • Security features including:
      • Flash ROM Boot Block
      • Diskette drive disable, boot disable, write protect
      • Power-on password
      • Administrator password
      • Serial/parallel port disable
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:20 PM

Answers

• I am running it on an HP D330 mainboard and had the same issue with the ethernet drivers. I used the ones for XP Pro. and they are working just fine.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:27 AM

All replies

• You can try using the NetXtreme 57xx Server drivers (http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_server.php) instead of using the Desktop drivers or you can try using the XP version of the 57xx Desktop drivers.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 2:17 AM
  • I am running it on an HP D330 mainboard and had the same issue with the ethernet drivers. I used the ones for XP Pro. and they are working just fine.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:27 AM
  • Thanks. I used the XP Pro 32 bit drivers from Broadcom's web site and loaded the driver manually once WHS installed and everything is working great.

The HP is a good system for WHS as it has a highly configurable BIOS setup and I can run it as a headless server with complete lockout of any ports I want e.g. parallel, PS/2, serial

I removed the CD drive from the system (I temporarily added the DVD that I used to burn the install DVD) as well as the 3.5" diskette drive, as well as disabling the on board audio and any other ports that wouldn't be used e.g. parallel, PS/2, serial.

With the use of the onboard video, which I may be able to disable also, I am using as little power as I could with this system, I estimate less than 100W.

I have two hard drives in the system at the moment and I have space for 4 more, 2 IDE and 2 SATA. I will have to get three 5.25" to 3.5" adapter brackets but they are readily available at nominal cost.

The fans (one for the CPU, one for the power supply and one for the case) are all thermostatically controlled so the system is relatively quiet.

The system came with a 40 GB hard drive that I took out but I am wondering about putting it back in and whether it is worth it.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Are you getting 1Gbps speed? I have tried everything (drivers, ethernet cables etc) and I cannot get Homeserver to connect at 1Gbps it always goes down to 100Mbps.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:34 AM
  •  Shaunsul wrote:
    Are you getting 1Gbps speed? I have tried everything (drivers, ethernet cables etc) and I cannot get Homeserver to connect at 1Gbps it always goes down to 100Mbps.

I don't currently have my system connected via Gigabit Ethernet though I will be doing that in the next month. I am assuming you are connecting to a GE switch/router port.

Monday, March 19, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Indeed. It's a driver issue so sadly I have to put up with slower speed until I get my hands on another NIC card.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I now have a Gigabit network setup and the HP D530 connects at GE but I cannot say that the performance is astounding me, though I can only test on a Vista system and apparently there are issues with network throughput with Vista.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:14 PM
  • I tried to use XP pro SP1 but still same problem encountered. Kindly specify the vesion of SP.

Many thanks.....

Friday, October 24, 2008 2:58 PM