Mesh says folder is updated, but the folder and its sub folders dont contain any documents on the destination PC RRS feed

• Question

•  

Using Mesh on my laptop running windows 7 and my desktop running Vista. I've synched about 6 different folders using Mesh with no problem, but one folder (let's call it "Old Docs") seems to always give me problems.

This folder resides on my desktop machine and I'm trying to synch it to my laptop. When I synch the folder through Mesh, after about a minute, it says the folder is updated. When I go back to my laptop to open the folder it's just full of empty sub folders (- the folder structure is there, but there are no documents in the folders).

This particular folder (Old Docs) resides on the D partition of the hard drive on my desktop machine.

All the folders that are working reside on the G drive on my machine, which is a larger and newer hard drive on my desktop machine.

I've tried stopping the the synch on the Old Docs file, deleting it on my laptop and synching again. I get the same result, a folder full of empty sub folders on my laptop.

I've tried stopping the synch on the Old Docs file, deleting it on my laptop, copying it to the G drive on my desktop machine where all the other synched files seem to work, renaming it, and synching it again, but I still get the same result - a folder full of empty sub folders on my laptop.

Old Docs folder where it originally resides on my desktop machine is not empty, it is full of about 1 gig of data. I checked and all the original data is still on my desktop machine. I am not sharing this folder with anyone else.

Very strange, don't know why this one folder won't synch properly.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:13 PM

Answers

• Update -

I created a new folder on my G drive of my desktop machine then copied the contents of the "Old Docs" folder to the new folder. I then synched the folder using mesh. So far it looks like the folder is synching properly - but the synch isn't compete yet as I have about 4,000 files in this folder. The only error message I recieved was that one file had a name that was too long and that Mesh was having a problem synching it. I clicked "ignore" after I got the warning as that particular file is not important.

I'll give it a few hours and see if it completes the synch properly.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:34 PM

All replies

• Update -

I created a new folder on my G drive of my desktop machine then copied the contents of the "Old Docs" folder to the new folder. I then synched the folder using mesh. So far it looks like the folder is synching properly - but the synch isn't compete yet as I have about 4,000 files in this folder. The only error message I recieved was that one file had a name that was too long and that Mesh was having a problem synching it. I clicked "ignore" after I got the warning as that particular file is not important.

I'll give it a few hours and see if it completes the synch properly.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:34 PM
  •  

Are  you are referring to Windows Live Mesh 2011 or Live Mesh beta  - www.mesh.com?  If it is the former, you are in the wrong forum.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:25 PM