How to enable Federation Manually? RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I deployed Edge Server (all roles on the same server). During deployment process I did not enable Federation. Now our management has decided to enable Federation.

Do I have to run the “Configure Access Edge Server” wizard again? I don’t think so. There should be some other way to enable Federation manually.

Please assist.

Thanks,

Muhammad

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:25 PM

Answers

•  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb663635.aspx

Enabling discovery of federated partners

If you did not enable discovery of federated partners when you configured your Access Edge Server, you can use the Computer Management snap-in to do so. If you already selected this option during setup, you do not need to perform this step.

To enable discovery of federated partners

1.      Log on to the Access Edge Server as a member of the RCT Local Administrators group or a group with equivalent user rights.

2.      Open Computer Management. Click Start, click All Programs, click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.

3.      In the console tree, expand Services and Applications, right-click Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007, and then click Properties.

4.      On the Access Methods tab, select the Allow discovery of federated partners check box.

Add a Trusted Federated Partner

Use the following procedure to add a trusted federated partner domain and optionally the FQDN of its Access Edge Server, use the following procedure.

To add a trusted federated partners

1.      Log on to the Access Edge Server as a member of the RCT Local Administrators group or a group with equivalent user rights.

2.      Open Computer Management. Click Start, click All Programs, click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.

3.      On the Allow tab, click Add.

4.      In the Add Federated Partner dialog box, do the following:

·         In the Federated partner domain name box, type the domain of each federated partner domain.

·         In the Federated partner Access Edge Server box, optionally type the FQDN of each Access Edge Server that you want to add to your Allow list. Remember if you configure the FQDN of a partner’s Access Edge Server and the FQDN changes, you must manually update your configuration for this partner.

·         Click OK.

5.      Repeat this procedure for each federated partner you want to add to your Allow list, and then click OK.

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:03 PM