Changing text of some existing Account Name RRS feed

• Question

• During import from another system, many duplicate company names, had a suffix added to make them unique while processing. So now we have "MedAssociates ~123", "MedAssociates ~124" and so on. About 1,000 of them.

The suffix has done its job & I want to delete the suffix, but I don't see a smart global search & replace utility in CRM.

Can this be done with worklow script?  Sample code?  I don't suppose I can export just the name, strip the suffix and re-import the name only?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:46 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your 3 options. Actually #3 worked OK. I still had the original CSV import file with the old & new Account names, so I re-imported using c360's Import Manager & just updated the account name to the one without the "~123"

suffix.

I wanted the original names back, without the suffix 'cause that is their real name & don't want to constantly try to strip the suffix when mailing materials or e-mailing the accounts. I wind with duplicate names, yes, but anticipating that I have created a unique record ID to differentiate them. Users lookup the account and when they see several identical names, know to also look at the city, State, or phone, to pick the one they want.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 3:37 PM

All replies

• there are two ways to achieve this.

1. Workflow to run manually and update all entries.

2. write .net plugin to update values

see, CRM Workflow / Plugins walkthroughs in MSDN.

Best Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Sorry, but I don't see any functions or operators (like INSTR, LEFT$, etc.) in the Workflow Manager actions that allow locating the "~" and deleting everything after it, or just retaning the text before it.  If you mean .net assemblies, that coding is beyond me.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I do agree with you, only you can do using .net assembly either call in workflow or use callouts. where you will get the string and then remove it , store back.

You can also check unsupported way , direct update into Database AccountBase is table name and read and update using query. ( its unsupported and dont know if work, you can try this)

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:48 PM
  • I've tried to rename the account name directly into the accountbase table...It created MESS...Database became INCONSISTANT and I had to reinstall the CRM

So i don't recommend direct changes in CRM Databases.

.net Assembly is a better option to perform such tasks...
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:26 AM
  • Hi Leonard

Maybe it's time to take a different look at the scenario? From what I can see, if you remove those suffixes then you'll have many duplicate Account names which is surely a bad user experience. What do you plan to do with them long term?

There are few options worth investigating but it really depends on your plans. Without more information I can only speculate, but here are my thoughts:

• Maybe you have moved all those accounts to sit under an appropriate "parent" account (e.g. "MedAssociates" is the parent for MedAssociates ~123, MedAssociates ~124 etc) - perhaps a manual workflow for each group could be applied, e.g. a manual WF for "MedAssociates" which just sets the Account name to "MedAssociates"
    • Run an Advanced Find for all Accounts containing "~", sort by name then do a bulk edit on each group of records to set them the same
    • Perhaps there is somethign you can do by exporting the data to Excel, with the account guid, using Excel functions to create a "new_name" field, import that and use WF to update all Account Names = new_name field

These are just some brief thoughts that might be available to you if .Net assemblies are not an option. Alternatively, get in touch with a CRM Partner who will be able to write somethign for you.

Good luck!

Greg Owens

My Blog: The CRM Grid

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Forget that last option - I was thinking of v4.0 evidentally - Bulk Import does not allow you to update anything at all in v3.0

Given that there are only about 1000 records involved - Advanced find and manual, hardcoded workflows are probably the way forward Wink

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:28 AM
  • Thanks for your 3 options. Actually #3 worked OK. I still had the original CSV import file with the old & new Account names, so I re-imported using c360's Import Manager & just updated the account name to the one without the "~123"

suffix.

I wanted the original names back, without the suffix 'cause that is their real name & don't want to constantly try to strip the suffix when mailing materials or e-mailing the accounts. I wind with duplicate names, yes, but anticipating that I have created a unique record ID to differentiate them. Users lookup the account and when they see several identical names, know to also look at the city, State, or phone, to pick the one they want.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 3:37 PM