none
Validating a product key using Slmgr

Question

• Hi All,

I'm developing dot net framework application where i am working on things related to Activation and installation based on Windows WDS.

I have checked across and found Slmgr is perhaps one of the approach to do that. So here is my case:-

I want to just validate whether a product Key supplied is valid or not. I repeat i just want to validate a windows 7 product key.

I used following command(on the command prompt), and supplied the product key:-

C:\windows\system32>Slmgr /ipk XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

Well i have given a invalid key so it threw me error "Product key Invalid", as expected no issues in that !

My query is that if i give a genuine product key to above command, will my windows 7 gets activated or it will just validate the key and i will have to activate the windows on my own.

If i use Slmgr /ipk XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX, will this activate the windows or just validate it.

I cannot find any concrete explanation except one on technet : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793433.aspx

But above are just options related to the Slmgr i just want to validate a key whether it is genuine.

I repeat, i just want to validate the key and don't want to activate it, my sole purpose is to just validate the product key and not to activate windows.

I have checked options in WMI API, but they also provide a method of Avtivate(), which will activate my windows.

Is there anyway in Slmgr to just validate a product key, or any other approach through which i can validate the product key. Is there any documentation available on what things Slmgr /ipk will do, and can it solve my purpose.

Guys can anyone help me out in this regards ?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:37 AM

Answers

• SLMGR is used for activation purposes, not for validation.

Validation is carried out over the internet - you can do it manually by visiting www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate (preferably using Internet Explorer at default settings)

the /IPK command carries out a number of checks on the Key entered - mostly to check that it could possibly be a valid one (are all characters allowed, is the checksum correct, etc), it then will attempt activation, assuming those tests pass.

Validation does a number of other things, such as check the validity of a number of system files, and compare them with the hardware expected, and the various hashes involved - it will only pass if everything looks kosher.

It is not possible to 'validate' a Key without first activating it.

If you want to check that a given Key is valid (which is NOT 'validation'!) you can phone an Activation Center and ask that they check the Key against their database.

They will give a yes/no answer, and may give a reason, if the Key is not valid. Their response is ONLY valid itself at the time of the request, as the Product Keys database is continually updated.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:24 PM