Laptop included German windows vista business - prefer english vista however... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm interested in buying a laptop in germany - included is a german version of windows vista business.
    However I prefer to use an english version. Apparently it's not possible to change the language (or even
    install the english vista-version using my valid german cd-key)

The advice which several shops gave me - is to just buy a new version - which I personally think is a bit
    crazy... Buying a 1500 euro laptop, with a german vista - not being offered the possibility to get the version
    I'd like to have (I don't mind installing it myself) - even a small exchange fee, let's say 50 euro would be
    okay with me..
    Instead, I apparently have to throw the german version which is included away, and spend another 180
    euro for the english oem version?!

I think that's a bit strange...

In dutch shops I noticed, they offer laptops where it says "windows vista nl/uk/fr" - so apparently in
    The Netherlands it is possible, but not in Germany?

Does anyone have any advice?
    Can I somehow 'switch' the language permanently (can I call microsoft with my
    valid german key, and can they then make it a valid english key)?
    or it it really true that I have to buy vista a second time?

Thanks for any help!

Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:35 PM

Answers

• If you want an English version of Windows Vista preinstalled on a computer, then you'll have to special order a laptop with your preferred language version of Vista.  Microsoft does not have any program to change the language version.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:21 PM

All replies

• If you want an English version of Windows Vista preinstalled on a computer, then you'll have to special order a laptop with your preferred language version of Vista.  Microsoft does not have any program to change the language version.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Hi Carey

I was researching for the same problem, as my hard disk died and the local expert fixer could only install a new disk and Vista system in Dutch. So I have been trying to make it talk English (using the recommended parts of the control panel) but to no avail !! (-despite the various articles which searches throw up).

Is the situation the same as it was in 2008 (ie cannot change a NL-rooted Vista Home Premium to run in English) or has any progress been made ??

best regards

Ted

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:01 AM