Server goes to sleep and doesn't wake up???? RRS feed

• Question

• On 6/26 Windows update pushed security fixes down for .NET Framework 3.51 and 4.0.

I noticed the updates were available and told my server to go ahead and download and install

Updates required a restart.  Upon restart the server came up fine but I could not dash board in nor establish a remote control session (could get to file shares, websites, etc)  As my server is headless I shutdown and installed a temp lashed in video card and restarted.  Noted upon startup the machine completed installations of the updates and once completed everything was "fine and in full working order"

Removed video card, restarted, server came up fine. Was able to dashboard in and remote control session access shares, websites, etc.

Now:  Ever since installing the patch kit the server now seems to go to sleep and not wake up after a unspecified amount of idle time.  (Every day since installing the patches)  When this happens I cannot access shares, websites, or dashboard/remote in.  If I go to the server and press power off button the system powers down normally as if again it was in sleep mode and did not wake up as it should have.

Checking the log files, I see my request to shutdown normally hence server seems to be indicating that although non-responsive to client requests it was alive and well.  Just prior to the failure I see a bunch of entries in the application log where as the (SPP Service) Software Protection service has completed licensing status check. Example:  Application Id=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f Licensing Status=.  Checking the activation station on my server it is Activated.

Any one else having similar problems since installing the latest windows updates for .NET security?

Any suggestions as to the best method for troubleshooting headless?  e.g. I have to jerry rig system to have video.

I suppose my next step will be to remove the security patches and see if the problem gets better along with confirm sleep settings - not sure if server has ever gone to sleep previously or if it always woke up as it should have.  e.g. maybe the .net fixes fixed a problem with allowing the server to sleep???  I see no indications in log that the server goes asleep but not sure if such would be logged?

Thankx, 

Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:42 AM

All replies

• I haven't started playing around enough with the server yet to find out/explore the sleep and wake functions, so can't help there.

On the patch kits, my box I just built this week downloaded all the patch kits, 3.51 and 4.0 and I don't have an issue.  There are 3 - 3.51 downloads and 4 - 4.0 downloads that my box installed.

Wish I could help.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:34 AM