none
What kind of Profile Achievements do you want to see? RRS feed

• General discussion

• So this is about the Achievement Medals on your profile. What are the new Achievements you want to see?

Suggest them and vote for the suggestions you like!

I'll keep a running list. After awhile, I'll submit the list to the team for consideration.

Naomi had this suggestion:

- Forum Thread Merger I, II, III

Also, how about awards for the Library Annotations?

- Library Annotator I, II, III

Also, I've heard requests for more "super human" medals, like...

- Forums Answerer V, VI, VII

- Forums Curator IV, V, VI

- Forums Code Answerer IV, V, VI

- Thread Mover IV, V, VI

- Gallery Reviewer IV, V, VI

Any others? Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:16 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Several people (perhaps many) max'd out long ago on Forum Answers and Answers With Code, so more levels there would be welcome. For awhile I thought Curator III was rare, but maybe not. I like the idea of Library Annotator achievements. It should be encouraged.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, March 9, 2012 11:24 PM
  • What about trivial Bronze medals (like easter eggs but not enough medals to actually encourage the activity)...

WIKI

- Wiki Reverter (one-time Bronze for first time you revert an article)

- Wiki Comparer (one-time Bronze for comparing versions on 100 articles)

- Wiki Historian (for clicking the History tab on 100 articles)

- Wiki Tag Surfer (for clicking tags in 100 Wiki articles)

- Wiki Comment Editor (first time you edit your own comment)

- Wiki Comment Deleter (first time you delete your own comment)

- Wiki Canceler (first time you cancel when writing/editing a Wiki)

- Wiki RSS Feeder (for using the RSS Feed link 10 times)

- Wiki Searcher (for searching for 100 Wiki articles)

- Avatar Changer (one-time Bronze for changing your avatar 10+ times)

- Profile Social Tester (for testing all your social profile links)

- Profile Hoverer (for hovering over every pie slice and every Achievement rectangle in 30 profiles)

- Profile Canceler (for canceling when editing the profile)

- Profile RSS Feeder (for using the RSS Feed link 10 times)

- Profile Frequent Question Asker (for clicking the FAQ link in 10 profiles)

- Profile Affiliator (for clicking the affiliation link in 100 profiles)

- Profile Socializer (for clicking social links in 100 profiles)

- Profile Web Surfer (for clicking website links in 100 profiles)

FORUMS

- Unread Forum Reader (one-time Bronze for the first time you click Unread sort in Forums)

- Forums Type Changer (one-time Bronze for first time you change the type of question/discussion in the Forums)

- Forum Post Editor (one-time Bronze for the first time you edit your own forum post)

- Forum Reasoner (for giving a reason when you edit a post)

- Forum Post Deleter (one-time Bronze for deleting your own post)

- Forum Canceler (for canceling when you go to write/edit a post)

- Forum RSS Feeder (for using the RSS Feed link 10 times)

- Forum Searcher (for searching on 30 forums)

BLOGS

- Blog Favoriter (for favoriting 30 blog posts)

- Blogs RSS Feeder (for using the RSS Feed link 10 times)

- Blog Email Subscriber (for email subscribing to 10 blogs)

- Blog Emailer (for emailing a blog owner)

- Blog Socializer (for clicking social links on 100 blog posts)

- Blog Tag Surfer (for clicking tags on 100 blog posts)

- Blog Searcher (for searching on 30 blogs)

GALLERY

- Gallery Searcher (for searching on 30 Gallery items)

- Gallery Surfer (for clicking category links 100 times)

- Gallery Favoriter (for favoriting 30 items)

- Gallery Socializer (for clicking social links on 100 Gallery items)

- Gallery Translator (translate your item)

- Gallery Editor (edit your item)

Note that if Easter Egg achievements get implemented, we probably won't advertise them or which ideas they are. =^)

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, March 9, 2012 11:56 PM
    Owner
  • Some more gaps in the current list...

FORUMS

- Forums Helper I, II, III (for getting lots of helpful votes; you can argue that this is a quality measurement and you already get Recognition Points, but why is that different from the Answerer medals)

- Forums Voter I, II, III (rewarded for voting answers as helpful)

- Forums Quoter I, II, III (rewarded for either number of times you use the Quote feature or the number of Answers you have with the Quote feature used)

- Forums Thread Splitter I, II, III (for when moderators split threads)

BLOGS

- Quality Blogger I, II, III (for lots of 4 and 5 star ratings)

GALLERY

- Quality Gallery Contributor I, II, III (for lots of 4 and 5 star ratings)

- Gallery Downloader I, II, III (for downloading lots of Gallery items)

WIKI

- Wiki Tagger I, II, III (for number of clicks when adding tags in the Article tab)

- Wiki Tabler of Contents I, II, III (for using the [toc] tag)

- Wiki Videographer I, II, III (for embedding videos)

- Wiki Photographer I, II, III (for embedding/uploading images)

- Wiki Socializer I, II, III (use the social links on the Wiki pages)

- Autobiographer I, II, III (Bronze is for when your Bio is filled, Silver is Bio + all the other text fields, Gold is everything + Avatar)

Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:05 AM
    Owner
  • How about activites in Connect?

Bugs and suggestions, and perhaps voting for a bug or suggestion, and providing a workaround?

Karl

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I like Karl's suggestion and a bit of your second list of activities, Ed. The first suggestion looks like it's too much.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:53 PM
  • BTW, it will be 'Thread Merger' not a Forum Merger as we merge duplicate threads (sometimes across forums, though).

My blog

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Thread Mover can also be maxed out, so can have extra levels.

My blog

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:23 PM
  • I think the achievements should be limited to contributing quality material to the community, promoting it to others and then being rated on your contributions.  When you add too many achievements for fluff, such as just using a particular feature that does not contribute to others experience, it lessens the importance of the existing achievements (e.g. Profile Frequent Question Asker (for clicking the FAQ link in 10 profiles)). 

That being said, I would like to see more Gallery achievements.  It seems the bar was set rather low on those.

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    Windows System Administration tool
    AD User Creation tool

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:00 PM
  • I think the achievements should be limited to contributing quality material to the community, promoting it to others and then being rated on your contributions.  When you add too many achievements for fluff, such as just using a particular feature that does not contribute to others experience, it lessens the importance of the existing achievements (e.g. Profile Frequent Question Asker (for clicking the FAQ link in 10 profiles)). 

That being said, I would like to see more Gallery achievements.  It seems the bar was set rather low on those.

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Regarding the "low bar" / easter eggs. Understood. A lot of those exist today and are the Bronze achievements. All those "easter egg" suggestions would be Bronze Achievements. For example, the "About Me Busy Bee" is not too much different than the "Profile Frequent Question Asker".

Cons of "Profile Frequent Question Asker"

- Feels like it's just there because it can be.

- Doesn't promote anything useful.

- Contributes to an overflow of useless medals.

Pros of "Profile Frequent Question Asker"

- Easter Egg. Fun, hidden little achievement to find.

- It's just a Bronze (the point of Bronze is to make them easy and give you a taste of the more challenging medals)

- Promotes the FAQ link (most people don't click it but probably should since they ask a lot of questions that are answered there)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:04 PM
    Owner

Regarding, the Gallery Achievements...

Which ones would you want to see?

The reality is that the bar is set "low" because they base it on a curve. You're just at the top of the curve. I'm closer to the bottom. =^)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:05 PM
    Owner
  • Regarding, the Gallery Achievements...

Which ones would you want to see?

The reality is that the bar is set "low" because they base it on a curve. You're just at the top of the curve. I'm closer to the bottom. =^)

More of all of them, meaning a fourth level for the current achievements and some exceptionally high achievements similar to the Wiki Ninja medals.  Also, there are no achievements for receiving 4-5 star ratings.

While we're on the topic of the Gallery, I want to reiterate my request for a review system for the TechNet Gallery.  Having someone rate one of your scripts as a 1-star without an explanation is rather disheartening.  The system is in place on the Visual Studio Gallery and awards achievements for completing the reviews.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:58 AM
  • How about adding additional blogging platforms so that non-MS members can gain blog achievements :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:57 AM
  • How about adding additional blogging platforms so that non-MS members can gain blog achievements :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Yeah? Click Rich's profile. =^)

Seeing how you've written 0 Wiki articles, I wouldn't think you'd be interested in blogging. If you're interested, you can start by writing Wiki articles (this makes sense later). Horizon Net made a portal around certification that could use an additional 50 or so articles. Plus any process you write up in the forums is fair game to become a Wiki article.

After you do Wiki for awhile (like Rich has, with 50+ articles and 200+ edits), then we can talk blogs too.

So to give you an official answer, the blog system is closed because Microsoft uses it as official messaging. But you can still go through Microsoft employees, as Rich has (I verify and endorse what he blogs about).

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:14 PM
    Owner
  • More of all of them, meaning a fourth level for the current achievements and some exceptionally high achievements similar to the Wiki Ninja medals.  Also, there are no achievements for receiving 4-5 star ratings.

Based on this feedback, I added the "Gallery Contributor IV, V, VI" request to the top list of the "super human" achievements. I already got the 4-5 star request in my third list (of gaps) with the "Quality Gallery Contributor I, II, and II" but a nice pun might be to call them the "Star Gallery Contributor" achievements. =^)

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:18 PM
    Owner

Jeff Wharton

Yeah? Click Rich's profile. =^)

Seeing how you've written 0 Wiki articles, I wouldn't think you'd be interested in blogging. If you're interested, you can start by writing Wiki articles (this makes sense later). Horizon Net made a portal around certification that could use an additional 50 or so articles. Plus any process you write up in the forums is fair game to become a Wiki article.

After you do Wiki for awhile (like Rich has, with 50+ articles and 200+ edits), then we can talk blogs too.

So to give you an official answer, the blog system is closed because Microsoft uses it as official messaging. But you can still go through Microsoft employees, as Rich has (I verify and endorse what he blogs about).

Thanks!

I actually find your reply quite offensive Ed.  Have you had a look around to see if I blog or do you only count Wiki as a blogging platform? 

I used to blog heaps when I was a SQL Server MVP however due to personal reasons, I stopped being a MVP and stopped blogging.  I then started up again last year.

Just to clarify:

• I have no interest in blogging on Wiki.
    • My question has nothing to do with Rich or at how “good” he is at writing Wiki articles.  Furthermore, I do not aspire to be like Rich!
    • I have no interest in going through a Microsoft Employee so they can vet my articles before they will post them.
    • I have no doubt that Horizon Net has created a great portal around certification however my blogs aren’t just about certification.
    • If Microsoft uses blogging as “official messaging” then they should earn NO recognition from this avenue of the recognition system as their blogs are work related, not community related.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Jeff,

I think there is a misunderstanding here; I do not think Ed meant to offend you.  It is rather widely known that the Microsoft TechNet/MSDN blogging platform is open to employees only.  Only recently has an exception been made to this policy and I think this caused some confusion.

Think about it like this:

• User A answers hundreds of questions on a specific forum and is considered 'knowledgeable' in that technology.  The forum owner can then elect to promote that user to answerer or moderator if User A wishes.
    • User B posts a large number of quality Wiki articles, edits and comments on numerous other articles and promotes the Wiki in general.  The Wiki owner (or other MS employees such as Ed) can then elect to 'promote' that user to a WikiNinja blog author if User B wishes.

I'm not sure if other blog owners would be open to doing something similar, since they are not technically 'community' blogs, but you can always try contacting the author of one of the Microsoft SQL or Certification blogs to see if they would allow you to blog for them on the MSDN/TechNet platform.  But as you mentioned that you are not interested in going through a Microsoft employee, that does not seem like a viable route for you. 

As for posting blogs on a non-TechNet/MSDN blog platform, I have not seen an official response from Microsoft employees, but I personally do not see that happening as they would not have any control of the external content (users could easily cheat the system and Microsoft would not have much recourse).  Of course I could be completely wrong here.  I do not work for Microsoft and cannot speak for their internal policies. 

"Furthermore, I do not aspire to be like Rich!" - Now I'M offended.  :(

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:22 PM
  • Jeff,

I think there is a misunderstanding here; I do not think Ed meant to offend you.  It is rather widely known that the Microsoft TechNet/MSDN blogging platform is open to employees only.  Only recently has an exception been made to this policy and I think this caused some confusion.

Think about it like this:

• User A answers hundreds of questions on a specific forum and is considered 'knowledgeable' in that technology.  The forum owner can then elect to promote that user to answerer or moderator if User A wishes.
    • User B posts a large number of quality Wiki articles, edits and comments on numerous other articles and promotes the Wiki in general.  The Wiki owner (or other MS employees such as Ed) can then elect to 'promote' that user to a WikiNinja blog author if User B wishes.

Hi Rich,

Understand what you're saying however I still think there’s confusion about what I’m asking.

I’m not asking to be allowed to blog on MSDN/TechNet, what I'm referring to is the limitation of Blog achievements as they are currently only available to Microsoft Employees as the MSDN/TechNet blog forum is only open to said employees. What I’m asking is for blog forums such as Wordpress, Blogger etc to be added to the list of blogs that can earn achievements.  Now it may not be technically possible to add non-MSDN/TechNet blogs to blog achievements however no one has stated this (All I've heard is that there's no plan to add them).

I'm not sure if other blog owners would be open to doing something similar, since they are not technically 'community'

Community blogs are any blog that assists the Microsoft community regardless of what platform they're on (hence the reason why Nokia Support Discussions and Smartphonegurus.com forums have been added to the list of eligible MCC forums).

(users could easily cheat the system and Microsoft would not have much recourse). 

Some MS blogs already cheat the system as posts that are a couple of lines long and do nothing but point to someone elses blog are counted towards recognition.

as they would not have any control of the external content 

This is one reason why I'm not interested in blogging on Microsoft platforms (and I never did even as a MVP).  There's a perception in the community that blogging on Microsoft platforms means that you're under the control of Microsoft and that you only blog what Microsoft wants the communit to see.

P.S. Sorry about not wanting to be you :-)

Jeff Wharton

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:53 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:52 PM
  • like Karl suggests, integrating the connect site into the community sounds like a nice idea
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:59 PM
    Answerer
  • like Karl suggests, integrating the connect site into the community sounds like a nice idea

Agree

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:00 AM
  • This is one reason why I'm not interested in blogging on Microsoft platforms (and I never did even as a MVP).  There's a perception in the community that blogging on Microsoft platforms means that you're under the control of Microsoft and that you only blog what Microsoft wants the communit to see.

Under the control of Microsoft, not so much.  I can see the second part of that though.  That's inherent in almost any company out there.  Very few companies would be willing to take a risk of letting John Doe post on their Official site without being moderated (forums, chat, etc. notwithstanding).  It is a fact that I knew going into the opportunity.  I never signed an agreement or an NDA in regards to it, but I know that if I mentioned anything that was not public knowledge, I would probably get my ability to author blogs on TechNet revoked.  Just because you have the means, doesn't mean you have the right.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:23 AM
  • This is one reason why I'm not interested in blogging on Microsoft platforms (and I never did even as a MVP).  There's a perception in the community that blogging on Microsoft platforms means that you're under the control of Microsoft and that you only blog what Microsoft wants the communit to see.

Under the control of Microsoft, not so much.  I can see the second part of that though.  That's inherent in almost any company out there.  Very few companies would be willing to take a risk of letting John Doe post on their Official site without being moderated (forums, chat, etc. notwithstanding).  It is a fact that I knew going into the opportunity.  I never signed an agreement or an NDA in regards to it, but I know that if I mentioned anything that was not public knowledge, I would probably get my ability to author blogs on TechNet revoked.  Just because you have the means, doesn't mean you have the right.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

True.

I'm not referring to what I'm legally allowed to post (and this is something I’ve never done), I'm referring to content which may be critical of, or go against, Microsoft ideals.

Over the years I have seen many good bloggers lose their credibility as they have “towed the line” of organisations and not been impartial when they blog.  This is something not just limited to MS.

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:34 AM
  • True.

I'm not referring to what I'm legally allowed to post (and this is something I’ve never done), I'm referring to content which may be critical of, or go against, Microsoft ideals.

Over the years I have seen many good bloggers lose their credibility as they have “towed the line” of organisations and not been impartial when they blog.  This is something not just limited to MS.

I have seen very similar, but I think that by virtue of posting on a Microsoft blog, it will be pro-Microsoft.  If someone has a disagreement with Microsoft, it would not be very professional to post it directly on Microsoft's blog.  If I did have a disagreement, I always have the option of not posting to WikiNinjas any more and discussing my disagreement on my personal blog.  Lucky for MS, they came out with PowerShell (and MDT) and now I'm hooked.  Also, nothing says that I can't write posts for both blogs at the same time. 

ps. I had the same suggestion as you last year to add the ability for non-Microsoft employees to get recognition for blogging.  I've written posts for other Microsoft blogs in the past, but never received credit as the owner of the blog posted it as themselves.  As I mentioned in my previous posts, there are roadblocks to allowing others to post and receive recognition through the current system.  Ed was kind enough to take the effort to track down a workaround to allow it for those who contributed heavily to the Wiki and showed interest in writing for the WikiNinjas blog.  Keep in mind that this 'workaround' does not scale and is not to be seen as a final solution.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:49 AM
  • I would also be interested to see the following:

• Script Ninja
    • Script Ninja Master
    • Script Ninja Supreme

The Script Ninja could start with requirements similar to the following:

1. 15,000 Gallery Contribution Downloads
    2. 25 Published a Contribution
    3. 150 Rated a Gallery Contribution
    4. 75 Replied to a Gallery Discussion
    5. 25 Started a Gallery Discussion

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:16 AM
  • There should be some more achivments for publishing gallery contributions. It stops to early now with only 10 published gallery contributions. I would love to see, 20, 50 etc contributions. :D

(just saw your post Rich!, good start though)

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway
    http://www.BizTalkAdmin.com |@tordeman

Please indicate ”Mark as Answer” if this post has answered the question.

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:41 AM
  • I also think that having an achievement for having your forum posts 'Voted as helpful' would be nice.  Right now there is an achievement for voting others as helpful, but not for receiving those votes.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:31 AM
  • +1 to Rich! I agree it is something we should be getting, after all providing helpful information is always good, and should be appriciated with an achivement!

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway
    http://www.BizTalkAdmin.com |@tordeman

Please indicate ”Mark as Answer” if this post has answered the question.

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Close to one month since this thread was started, just checking in to see if the MSDN/TechNet team have made any progress on this?

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:14 AM